Overactive bladder

Old 03-15-2023, 07:50 AM

Default Overactive bladder

Can anyone recommend an over the counter med for this condition? My MD doesn't have free samples for me (scrip would be too much $). TIA!!!
Old 03-15-2023, 08:19 AM

earthclinic.com is my go-to place for over-the-counter remedies. I typed in Overactive bladder in the search engine and the main remedy discussed is 1/8 - 1/4 tsp/day of nutmeg in water or coffee. According to some of the shared anecdotes, back in the day the aunts and grandmothers would dose up on nutmeg (no more than 1/4 tsp) when they had to take a trip to prevent their overactive bladder symptoms.

Looking up contraindicatons for nutmeg the websites say avoid nutmeg if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Don't take too much of it to avoid hallucinations (5 grams at a time to get hallucinations). Don't take it if you have liver problems. Don't take it long term because it has safrole which is a carcinogen. https://www.botanical-online.com/en/...traindications

The side effects are a lot less than most of the medicines out there :-). Let us know if you try the nutmeg. Start with 1/8 teaspoon a day and see if you get relief. After the bladder is calm you will probably be able to skip a few days without needing it based on the stories in earthclinic.com

Has anyone tried this or heard of their relatives using it this way? You can buy nutmeg in the grocery store at a very affordable price as compared to medicines.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:58 AM

Nutmeg hmmmmm Sure like this better than medications.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

• The only over-the-counter medication approved for overactive bladder (OAB) is Oxytrol for Women (oxybutynin). It's a patch that’s applied to your skin, but it should only be used by women.

I surprised your Dr. didn't suggest this OTC product to try or tell you the reason not to try it. My friend said it works for her. She said it use to be a prescription product.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:56 PM

Check with your doctor or the pharmacist for a savings card for the drug. You have to call to activate the card. They will ask a few questions to see if you qualify for the savings card. Certain RX plans are not included for the savings card.

You can also check on the drug manufactures web site for the specific medication. There may be a registration area.
The company will direct you on how the RX should be billed by the pharmacy. Usually commercial insurance is billed first and then the savings plan card.

There may also be a 800 number available.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Go slow with advice. If you try something, give it time to react. I take oxybutynin, 3 prescribed small blue pills every day. These are not so expensive but newer meds are very costly. Certain acidic foods are bad triggers---watch your diet. Exercise is always good idea. Best of Luck !
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 PM

I have that at times. not much sleep, but recently went to new Doctor and got an RX for #2 problem.RX costs $400.00 if you can believe that. Medicare wanted their $395.00 cut first. Didn't get it, needless to say. I don't need help that badly. Wait, let me fix my diamond "tiara".
Old 03-20-2023, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

What is the difference between overactive bladder and urinary incontinence?
Old 03-20-2023, 05:11 PM

I think you feel the need to urinate frequently but can hold it in with overactive bladder. Incontinence usually means the inability to hold it in whether or not you have an urge to urinate.

Here's a website link that says the two frequently overlap: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ce#differences
Old 03-21-2023, 04:21 AM

My sister uses a Chinese herbal medicine for this problem. study Not sure how much it costs.