Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Package from Canada to the US >
  • Package from Canada to the US

• Package from Canada to the US

Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 PM

I have packages of fabric, powder paint( for dying fabric ) and patterns. The patterns are no problem . Fabric was stopped at the UK border and sent back because they found ' drug like powder' they said in the fabric. The powder paint every jar was opened but they did send to me with an extra £30 to pay due to repacking. I still buy some fabric from US and have had no problems since.
    customs seem to have there own set of rules but no consistency.
    Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 AM

Sounds like a nightmare! I recently sent a small package to Canada with the value set at zero because I didn't want the receiver to pay any tariffs. Hope it gets there. Now I'm really worried! However, I had no problem receiving her package to me.
    Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    the PO may have meant the minimum insurance they will cover is for a value of a $100, But all pkg going to canada need a customs declaration form-CN22. Known as PS form 2976. See Below:

https://about.usps.com/forms/ps2976.pdf

On this form you must declare the value of whats inside. (there is no minimum/maximum). But customs will calculate duty on it. Duty/tax is calculated by what it is (You have to know the HS Tariff number) and the country of Origin and if it has a tariff exemption (NOEE).

I ship to canada every week, and no package goes without a customs form. (This form -the short form, is for a flat envelopes, There is a longer form for pkgs/boxes).
    This is for going to Canada, she was mailing from Canada. Different rules.
    Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM
    Power Poster

Canadian Here .... as AZJane pointed out, there is a difference whether shipping from USA or from Canada!

So to answer the FROM CANADA perspective ......

Agree with Watson ... go direct to a real Canada Post Office, not a sub-station, such as at Shoppers Drug Mart, a corner store etc. I learned that lesson a long time ago!

Similarly ... there is a lot of info on the Canada Post website, but it is a total jumble. A good place to start for a guide, but go to the IRL people, so you get the best option possible.

There are so many different categories that parcels can fall into, so the best way is to ASK at the Post Office. And if you do not understand, ask again, for clarification. Also, there are different options whether shipping within Canada ... or outside our country.

About the $100 ... I agree with the others that it is most likely insurance ... one of the categories for a parcel, expedited and traceable comes automatically with $100 insurance. Of course, if you had to claim later ... I am sure you are not getting a $100 if the item is only worth $40, for example.

For the declaration for shipping outside of Canada, that is all about valuation and what may be charged duty at the border or not. Small item, negligible amount, probably would not be charged such. However, it does not pay to deceive, as if they check further and you put a declared value of $5 ..... and it is obviously a $150 value, then yes, it will be changed in that regard.

That being said ... different countries different rules. One parcel of fabric that I sent (not to the USA), I put declared value as $45 (a fair and reasonable amount for the contents), as I knew above $50, they would likely have to pay duty. Guess what? That country considers the postage charges as part of the value, so $45 plus postage, took it way over the $50. It truly was a gift to my friend, but for her to get the fabric, she ended up paying more than I had for the fabric!!! Another lesson learned.

So, if you have not sent it ... go to a post office and check again.
    If you have ... you know for the next time.

The really sad and bad news, but unfortunately the realities of it all ... it is expensive to snail any parcel, whether to within Canada or beyond. Unfortunately, it kind of spoils the fun!
    Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM

The package was sent through the main Post Office. I sent DH to the PO.
    If I knew he would be dealing with Mr. Horrible, I would have told him
    to bring my package back. Always a problem with that guy. One time
    he shook my package to never ending to show me it could not go
    as regular mail? because it would not fit in that plastic slot.
    I send the exact same thing one week later through Mr. Nice and
    he didn't make any fuss and it went through as regular mail.
    Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM
    Power Poster

Oh for that stupid plastic slot!!!!!
    ...... I run into the same issue with my local PO ladies.
    Most are pretty good at working hard to ram something through.
    However, there is one miserable one, if it does not fall through easily,
    then she rules it over and out. arrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Yup ... I have walked back out sometimes when it seems she is the one I will be dealing with!
    Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

oh goodness whom ever told you that knew the receiver on the other end would have to pay duty on it. shame on them.
    Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM

When you buy from states and crosses into the Canadian side, keep track of your purchases, the US information office wil send u forms on the cost of your goods, then you'll receive a cheque in the mail for the taxes paid in US.. You pay when in Canada only pay once. The sending US price is different than US to Canada, different tariffs, different taxes, depending on where the product was made. Do look into if it can be sent as a gift to family for birthday it may you are allowed so much before declaring over.. But if it is a gift it can be higher, look into it.. Whether you cross on foot or mail same scenario.. Ask a lot of questions regarding what is allowed. Don't jeapordize your crossover it can cause you problems in the future. Better to be honest. Just my 2 sense worth..
    Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
    When you buy from states and crosses into the Canadian side, keep track of your purchases, the US information office wil send u forms on the cost of your goods, then you'll receive a cheque in the mail for the taxes paid in US.. You pay when in Canada only pay once. The sending US price is different than US to Canada, different tariffs, different taxes, depending on where the product was made. Do look into if it can be sent as a gift to family for birthday it may you are allowed so much before declaring over.. But if it is a gift it can be higher, look into it.. Whether you cross on foot or mail same scenario.. Ask a lot of questions regarding what is allowed. Don't jeapordize your crossover it can cause you problems in the future. Better to be honest. Just my 2 sense worth..
    If you live in a province that does not pay tax....Alberta.....you can get the US tax refunded. However, if you live in BC I don't believe this is possible. We pay both taxes. Sending to Canada we do not pay if it is a gift under $50.00 meaning the value needs to be $49.99. USUSALLY Now this does depend on the person checking the parcels. I am not sure what the value is going stateside from Canada.