Paris anyone?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM

We lived in Orleans, Joan of Arc's city, for 4 years and went to a small restaurant in Versailles (the city) called CICADA for a once a month treat. If it's still open you should go, no tourists, just real French cooking and the best. Paris is truly quite a place to visit, so much to see.
Enjoy and safe trip, Kutnso
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 AM

How fantastic! Lucky you, have a great trip. And hey, its PARIS, why worry about the cost of fabric!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM

Apart from the usual places = the Tower, Louvre, Notre Dame etc. , one of the places I liked best was Galeries Lafayette. It is a really stupendous department store that has all sorts of 'treasures' in it. Also a night cruise on the Seine is really magic. Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM

i have been to paris. it is just wonderful. we went in 2000 and had just a wonderful time. we didn't go to a quilt shop though. at time time, the money exchange was in our favor and believe it or not, i got a bunch of sweat shirts that had been around 40 dollars for only two dollars each. they were putting them out as we came in the store. we went to the museums and to versailles. all of that was just wonderful. we saw the tunnel where diana died and the makeshift memorial they made for her near there. one thing that happened was we went to notre dome and paid to go up the steps for a tour around on the side and we went up one flight and someone wanted more money so we turned around and came back down. the line was so long that you couldn't just go and ask if we were supposed to pay again up there. most people were turning around and coming back down. we had heard that this often happens sometimes at tourist sites that other people try to charge you when you have already paid. versailles was wonderful to go to. the cab ride from the airport to the hotel was fast. that did make me nervous but he did maneuver through traffic okay even though he was going quite fast.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 AM

I realize your on your way but if you see this, get some French Wine.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 AM

There is only one quilting store in Paris, close to Metro Saint-Michel , Called Le Rouvray, they are very expensive and the fabric is imported from the U.S.A.. Check the address on Yahoo.(Map to get there included. At the hotel, ask the room service maid if she knows a Mercerie (French name for a fabric and sewing equipment store).If they don't understand the word quilt use patchwork. Fabric is sold by the meter (39,3 in') . If you know how much you want to buy in yards use the same number, don't bother to convert. In Paris, store clerks may be very snobbish, ask to be shown what you want (Montrez-moi s'il-vous-plait.) If this fail , go Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen , metro Porte de Clignancourt, open Sat-Mon from 7 a.m. to 7.30 at night. This is a huge flea market where everything is sold and you can haggle, Still no luck, just enjoy your new experience, Tired, you want a coffee ask for a café au lait otherwise you 'll get an expresso demitasse . LOL I've been in Paris a few times, keep your eyes opened , enjoy every minute of your trip, don"t try to pack to many activities, there is a discovery at every street corner!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Do try and get to Monets garden, but not sure if much will be in bloom at the moment. My favourite museum is Musee d'Orsay, I prefer it to the Louvre
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM

I loved Paris!! It was a lifetime dream, and we spent a week there about 4 years ago! Don't forget to buy a crepe filled with chocolate nutella, and I loved the Musee D'Orsay the best too. Was disappointed in the Picasso Museum. We loved walking around and just discovering what was there. Also fascinated by the graveyard up by Sacre Coeur Cathedral. It had many famous people, and unique monuments, as well as the famous cats. Have a great time!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Lucky you.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Have a great time! I want to see what material you bring home. Paris is wonderful!