Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Parking lot scam and scare - pay attention, ladies! >
  • Parking lot scam and scare - pay attention, ladies!

• Parking lot scam and scare - pay attention, ladies!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:52 AM

And men too!

I'll keep this brief. Walked to my car yesterday in Best Buy parking lot. A beautiful day and I'm all happy and noticing the gorgeous day. I open my car door and get in and right next to me appears this woman, around my age, at my left, like a magic trick. "Excuse me, ma'am, but my car broke down and I need to get home to my babies in Maine. Could you spare $10 for bus fare?" I was immediately frightened, more of the thoughts racing through my mind than her question - where is her partner/will he get into the passenger seat/will she shoot me if I say no/why did she wait until I sat in my vehicle and not approach me while walking? Anyway, rather than offer suggestions I said "No, I'm sorry, I can't" and shut my door. She walked on and I then checked my back seat and all around my car and pulled out of the space.

I did not notice her at all and tend to notice people near my vechicle because that is what we are told to do. Was she crouching between cars, was she there all the time, did I just not see her?

I told my daughter about it as she was with me, waiting in the store with the new tv I just bought. She commented on why the lady didn't just walk over to Sears service. She has kids and no cell phone and willl leave her car in the parking lot in NH when she lives in Maine? Definite scam.

I just wanted to pass it on to please be aware, more aware than you think you need to be.
    Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 AM

I'm sooo sorry this happened!! I hope you reported her to security!! Lucky for you it turned out well!! You better be careful!! Even here in NH we're getting undesirables!! Please keep your guard up!
    Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 AM

How frightening---I'm glad you're OK.
    Thanks for the warning. It could happen anywhere.
    Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 AM
    Power Poster

Hugs, so glad youre okay!!!!!!! I would have been scarred, too. We sure have more pan handlers in the city nearest me now...never had them before. Most sit with signs that ask for money til the cops make them leave. I did get suckered once....a couple was sitting outside Target with a dog and a sign, need dog food... Yep, bought the dog food.....
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 AM

I think you should contact the local police department or the mall security and tell them what happened. Then they can keep an eye out or at least be aware it is happening in their lot. I am so glad nothing bad happened to you.
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 AM

I agree and would recommend WE call or notify THE POLICE or MALL SECURITY when suspicious things happen to US. It may turn out worse for others.
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 AM
    Power Poster

OMG the same thing happened to me- it was so creepy b/c this lady came literally out of nowhere- she got right in my face only she held up a small sign-language card for me to buy. Scared me to death. I just shook my head and took off FAST.
    Being taken by surprise is really scary- so glad you're okay.
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 AM

Call the POLICE. Program the police dept and state highway patrol numbers in your phone. I was at Target and a similar thing happened, call the police before I left parking lot, the woman was going to each car with just one person in the car. she was asking for money.
    BE SAFE
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 AM

You know, I thought to report it to mall security but didn't because I didn't see her again. I suppose she could have been hiding or crouching. I think I will call them today though. Thanks for suggesting that.
    Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 AM

that happened at our market. women seeking out elderly and scamming for money. having them go t o atms. It was in our local paper. beware. keep your keys out . be aware, and lock your doors asap. We never can be too cautious.

get a NRA sticker put it on your driver side mirror.