Passports

Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Sometimes it only takes a couple of weeks. But I have also seen it take up to 8 weeks. Don't wait if you plan to travel in September. You don't want to miss your trip because your passports haven't arrived!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM

You can download the forms and get information at http://travel.state.gov/passport/get.../first_830.htm , if you have never applied for one before you do have to submit it in person along with certified copy of Birth Certificate and picture ID, they don't accept Credit Cards. Just an FYI. Good luck. and they aren't cheap!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Several areas of the government are going to "shut down" while the big boys (and girls) in D.C. try to hammer out a budget.

My mom and brother work locally for the federal government and they are worried about being "laid off" until the big boys get their acts together.

It affects so much more that I ever realized.

Good news - go apply for your passport at the post office. It said 6-8 weeks, but I got mine in less than 2 (just last week!) If they do "shut down" you'll already be in the queue line to get yours when they get it back together.

=)
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Passport applications can be downloaded from web. Google passport.
All information is posted on web page. You can conmplete the form then download completed form.
This how I did mind then got picture taken at Walgreens or Eckerd Pharmacy.
Took about 10 days before was received in the mail.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 PM

I think maybe you are referring to the fact that, if the govt does not come up with a budget, or extension to the current budget, then many govt agencies will cease to work until there is a budget. I have heard that the processing of passports would be one of those areas. I would not worry too much...I don't think our govt will shutdown for very long, if at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM

My post office has a Passport day every so often , you can do everything right there, photo, application etc. They made it very easy , just as long as you have the right stuff, birth cetificate etc.
I got mine in about 8 days doing it at the post office.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 AM

I travel to Canada every few months. I only have a enhanced drivers license. A lot cheaper. Call your local Department of Motor Vechicals and see if your state ofers these. Mine only took 10 days.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 AM

The shutdown happened once before in First Bush administration. Workers were paid later so no money was saved. It did not accomplish anything but cause anger. Don't know why the Republicans want to do it again.

As to passports DO NOT pay extra fees. Check at your local city hall. Should not take more than a couple weeks. Also get your photos at a drugstore that does passpost photos, usally ready in an hour. Be sure to renew on time as they expire in ten years. Be prepared for "interesting" likenesses in your photo. Mine looks vaguely like me! have fun on your trip.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 AM

Thanks for all your encouraging input. I'd go and get them right now but don't have the $$$$. If it happens I don't think it will last long, I feel better.