Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Pay Pal question-do you like or not? >
  • Pay Pal question-do you like or not?

• Pay Pal question-do you like or not?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM

I ditto any positive remarks already made. Easy and reliable!
    Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM

I've had a paypal account for years (for Etsy and
    Ebay). I'm not crazy about the charges, but I've never had any problem and I have no problem paying extra for instant payment, no standing in Post Office lines, etc. I don't like to keep too much money in the account, so when it gets about $100.00 or so, I have it transferred to my checking account at my bank. I'm a senior citizen, I no longer drive so this is a lifesaver for me. I've heard sad tales, but have not experienced any myself.
    Old 09-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Our store has accepted PayPal for about five years now and we haven't had any problems.

We do keep a separate bank account for receiving the funds transfers from PayPal. I wouldn't have thought to do that, except that one of the ladies I work with had PayPal empty out her checking account - some sort of fraud or error - whichever it was, it took her several days to get it sorted out and in the meantime she was not able to pay her bills, because the account was empty.

For what it's worth... if you accept checks, you will probably get a few each year that bounce. When I used to accept credit cards at craft shows, I did not have the ability to charge the cards at the show, so I didn't find out until I got home each night whether the cards would be valid or not. And every year, a few credit card payments would not go through. And, accepting credit cards, you will still get a few fraudulent charges and/or disputes each year. So just be aware that this can - and probably will - happen. EVEN if you do everything right.

As other people have said, getting proof of delivery is the one way you can have seller protection with PayPal. That said, you're supposed to ship to confirmed addresses, otherwise you will not have full seller protection. Many PayPal customers do not bother to confirm their addresses.

Whatever you choose, you will want to carefully think through what your policies will be, and be sure to post them clearly on your site or in your store.

Best of luck to you! :)
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM

I have had paypal for about 10 years and love it. I transfer money from eBay to MY accounts all the time. GREAT Service.

Linda
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

I use PayPal and prefer it as a customer. I have no idea of the costs/problems for the seller.
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM

I use my paypal account all the time. I HATE having to send a check out, because that gives access to my account info...printed right there on the check, to everyone who handles it. Also don't like giving my credit card or debit info out online to strangers. So Paypal is the perfect answer. I use it all the time.
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Hmmmm....funny you should ask. I just sold something on the board to a wonderful lady in Switzerland...Had a paypal account that I have not used in over ten years, but signed up again. Well....low and behold... over the last ten years several people fromdifferent states have tried to use it unsuccessully. Well, Paypal closed the account and now we cannot use it at all. If we want to open another pp account, we have to change our whole banking system, which they were never able to get into anyway. Hubby said no way, not for one transaction which is all I would be using it for. Alas, poor lady in Switzerland will not be able to get her quilting frame from me. But she was very understanding about the whole thing. I will never ever use PayPal......EVER!!!
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM

I won't purchase anything online if they cannot take paypal. It keeps me safer then putting in the ol cc number. And now a days I am wary of checks, they have your account number on them and who knows what these people will come up with..
    Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    I won't purchase anything online if they cannot take paypal. It keeps me safer then putting in the ol cc number. And now a days I am wary of checks, they have your account number on them and who knows what these people will come up with..
    All people need is that info off your checks and they can pay bills, open accounts, etc. That is why I don't send checks to anyone I don't know. I can use a debit card and check on it thru my online banking in hours, not have to wait for my next bank statement. I stopped a guy at Perkins from stealing from my bank account because I caught it two hours after he tried it.
    Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 PM

I'm with you, I don't use checks anymore either. As a disabled Senior Citizen I don't drive anymore so most of my buying and selling is done online, using a debit card or Paypal. The few bills I have (Cable TV, Electric, etc) are taken care of through online banking. Sons do most of my grocery shopping, unless I just want to get out and about. I'd rather just sit here and quilt :>)