PayPal and taxes

Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM

It may have to do with how much you sell.
contact ebay and etsy.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks - will do. Have a nice night.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM

You shouldn't give your social security number to anyone including PayPal. And social security numbers are the only way that the IRS can track your money as any kind of income.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Ann
Mother always said there was never a dumb question - but, this may be one. I'm thinking of selling on e-bay and/or etsy. Do you need a tax ID to do this?
No, not necessarily and especially if you are just starting out.

If you exceed the amounts stated earlier in the thread ($20,000 and more than 200 payments), then you will probably be required to furnish your social security number and or EIN (tax ID for a business) for income tax purposes (in this case, eBay/etsy will report to the IRS how much you sold).

You need a tax ID when you are selling items that must be taxed where you live. You also need a tax ID if you want to buy supplies untaxed from wholesalers.

This article explains it better:
http://reviews.ebay.com/What-About-T...00000000854743
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

If you represent yourself as a business, IS: business cards, bank accounts, etc, then you will need a tax ID and will have to file taxes as biz!

If you make more than $600 a year selling items, be they yard sale, online, craft shows etc, you are to claim it as income!

Under the NEW tax laws small/home based businesses are no longer allowed to claim utilities, mortgages/rent, phone, insurances, etc, etc....there are NO deductions for small home bases businesses any more!

Hence the reason I am closing my ebay store after 9 years!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

One must remember that this world of ours includes many that are NOT as legit as we might be! The online banking and electronic payments centers are HUGE in the money laundering business now...

and do you know how many people are selling on Ebay, Etsy and millions of other websites and NOT paying taxes or declaring that income? LOTS of people who claim disablity/ SSI, etc are making more money online that you and I are working the M-F 40hr work week, and WE pay taxes on our income! So it only makes sense that sooner or later the bad guys are going to make it harder on all of us! Think TSA...seriously...when was the last time a guy with NO legs tried to blow up a plane..or a woman with breast implants..yet we ALL have to suffer the injustices at the airport....
Just like avoiding the airports, if you do not want uncle sugar to know what/where/why you get your money, then just do NOT sell online..
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
I prefer not to sell for paypal because I don't know how to get the money out other than to spend it through pp!
Small transactions like many of ours shouldn't be taxable. We're not making any profit selling property for 60% retail!
Do they want to tax what we "earn" having a yard sale?
Hey, don't give the IRS any ideas! LOL
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
I prefer not to sell for paypal because I don't know how to get the money out other than to spend it through pp!
Small transactions like many of ours shouldn't be taxable. We're not making any profit selling property for 60% retail!
Do they want to tax what we "earn" having a yard sale?
Yard sales usually aren't taxable, because you're selling for less than the original purchase price - thus not making a profit. Ditto when you sell a car.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have long thought that it was only a matter of time before the IRS decided to tap into what is surely a big business, overall: eBay and PayPal.

You can run but you cannot hide. Not anymore.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 AM

And ebay keeps ALL the records from the beginning, and they have a history of being VERY cooperative with the gov't in giving out info requested.