Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • People owned by cats - need suggestions >
  • People owned by cats - need suggestions

• People owned by cats - need suggestions

Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM

cat lovers are not the only people with this problem i have thre3e shee-poos if i don't trim arround there behind ends there tight curly hair tangles and they are unable to go i try to watch close for this to happen never had to do anthing like that to my long hair cats so can't answer'
    .for the doges i have a leash i ties to the tops of the ouside railing on the porch thani use a soft strip of material[left over binding] wich i tie infront of there back legs so they can't sit down makes the job a lot eaqsyer .i talk to them a reassurs them so that it is a good experiance.than thay get special treats they ech get a hot dog after were done
    good luck
    Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 AM

For your clothes, wash them in about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar along with your regular detergent. It takes out the urine odor. It works best if the urine is still wet.

We've got a cat who apparently decided that the laundry basket looked like a litter box :shock: and we had to do something QUICKLY a few days ago when an accident happened. The apple cider vinegar worked like a charm. Whew. :)
    Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Absorbine Miracle Groom pour on a cloth scrub all over fur (or spot clean) ,cleans,conditions,detangles,deodorizes and shines.I learned this from another board member.It works!!!!I now have a clean,detangled Collie,3 Labs that smell like vanilla/lemon and a black cat thats shines.It gets grass stains out.Love it!!! I also use the furnatior comb to get out dead fur.
    Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! There are some suggestions that I have never thought of. Chloe is not old, she is about 5 to 6 1/2 years old. I never though about her leaking urine, but I will call my vet and have it checked out. I had a long haired cat before Chloe and she never had the urine smell. Could be that Chloe can't wash herself well there. She was a shelter kitty and I notice she has always had a funny swagger to her back legs and she it petrified of the sound of the garbage trucks. I told my vet I thought Chloe may have had an accident with a truck. But my vet watched Chloe walk on the floor and said it didn't seem like she had any kind of injury. But we never took x-rays. Maybe that's something I need to look into as well. It could be an old injury makes it hard for her to wash there. I will try your suggestions and let you know what works. I have thought of trying the spray shampoos that don't need water. Has anyone tried those? Thanks again for your help and if anyone has anymore ideas, let me know!
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
    Power Poster

I forgot to mention how beautiful Chloe is!! I think we were so caught up with trying to help :)
    She looks like a sweetie!!
    Please keep us posted.
    Sue, slave to 5 cats :D
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
    Hi All! My avatar, Chloe, has the hairiest bottom I have ever seen on a cat. I have been bringing her to the vet every 8 weeks or so to have (as they tell me) "her poop shoot" shaved. Since she gets so stressed out from these visits, I have decided to trim her fur at home, I don't have clippers yet, just scissors. My question is: Her back end smells like pee, even though the fur is not wet. When she sits on me, my clothes pick up the smell, YUCK! Any ideas on what I can use to keep the fur smelling nice, or how I can do it would greatly be appreciated. With all the cat lovers out there, someone is bound to have a solution to my problem. I don't want to bathe her, she believes water if for drinking only, if you get my drift. So frequent baths are out. I have tried pre-moistened bath sheets, but they don't seem to work that well on her. They do work on getting the smell off my clothes though. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    febreeze?????
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fiber Artist
    Absorbine Miracle Groom pour on a cloth scrub all over fur (or spot clean) ,cleans,conditions,detangles,deodorizes and shines.I learned this from another board member.It works!!!!I now have a clean,detangled Collie,3 Labs that smell like vanilla/lemon and a black cat thats shines.It gets grass stains out.Love it!!! I also use the furnatior comb to get out dead fur.
    Oh boy! I am so glad you posted this 'cuz I was going to recommend it to her as I did you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, are you sure it is her 'pee' smell or is it her glands? Huge difference. Anyway, try the Miracle Groom, spray on a soft cloth till wet, wipe your puss' bottom from base of tail down to hindquarters. You may have to stick Miss Priss' head under your armpit and hold her against you while also holding her tail up while also wiping her butt, whew! but it is alot easier than it sounds and she will smell so nice after using the MG. Guaranteed! You can find it at www.absorbine.com or at Tractor Supply or other feed store types.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Forgot too how pretty she is. Use lots of soft talk while grooming her. Don't get antsy or upset with her.

Grams to 13 cats - 6 inside and 7 outside and handled thousands. Literally! No expert, just experienced and used to run an animal shelter.

NO FEBREEZE! Geesh!
    Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I will get some and try it. I used a pet bath wipe on her butt just the other night, while she was standing in my lap. When she had enough, she turned around and swatted me with both front paws a couple of times! LOL! Her ears were laid back, her pupils really dilated! She probably would have tried to nip me, but I taught her not to bite, so she has kept that impluse in check.
    Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
    Oh boy! I am so glad you posted this 'cuz I was going to recommend it to her as I did you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, are you sure it is her 'pee' smell or is it her glands? Huge difference. Anyway, try the Miracle Groom, spray on a soft cloth till wet, wipe your puss' bottom from base of tail down to hindquarters. You may have to stick Miss Priss' head under your armpit and hold her against you while also holding her tail up while also wiping her butt, whew! but it is alot easier than it sounds and she will smell so nice after using the MG. Guaranteed! You can find it at www.absorbine.com or at Tractor Supply or other feed store types.
    Her glands do leak a bit, and I keep that clean. But the smell is not from that, it's pee. I know she cannot clean herself back there, for some reason she cannot get into that position comfortably, so it gets neglected and I have to take care of it. I will try the Miracle Groom.