Pet Peeve: FREE Shipping.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 PM

I totally understand living in Alaska. For some reason some companies think we are actually a different planet. Well it seems like they think that. We live in America...good grief! Oh well I guess they gotta draw the line somewhere, right?!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM

I can see why that would be a thorn in your side. Especially since there are companys in other parts of the world that still ship free to the US. On the flip side, when I have ordered from Canada, they really stick it to us for shipping. I guess their just getting even.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM

When I first found this board and all the online shops with fabric I posted a question on where to order online.
One advise was: its like chocolate, you have to try them all to figure out what you like best.
In the meantime I have favorite shops and a blacklist, most of it because of shipping and handling costs!
There are shops who put 8 yards of fabric into a flat rate envelope or split your order into two to get the cheaper shipping rates. And they keep the value under the $60 that is free for swiss custom. The duties are very little for a higher amount, but they charge $ 18 for handling...........
my favorites are fatquartershop and Hancocks of paducah for international shipping and I forget all about equilter and fabric.com
Old 04-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I have noticed for alot of my 64 yr.s that just about everything, books, magazines and such has higher prices for canadian citizens and could never understand why.
Freight is increased here also if it says shipping and handling, you pay the person packaging it up for the time spent on doing it. We ship out and now they have added fuel surcharges, even when the fuel goes down, and charges us extra when sent to a residentual address. We have been told residentual is most of U.P.S.'s customers, makes us think business are lower than the others. They also hit us with an ever climbing pick up charge, you would have to be a C.P.A. to figure how to get that all back, some charges can't be passed onto our customers, we have competation.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM

In defense of shipping costs, I mailed my product to Oregon and was $17.00, mailed it to Canada and was 29.00, that gave me a $10 profit.

I mailed fabric to Canada, was $26.95 for what would cost $10.50 in the US.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 PM

My husband is currently working in Mexico City. The rules and regulations to ship anything as well as the cost is crazy. Anything with a declared value of $1000 or more must be picked up and the duty paid at the airport. He designs tooling for major manufacturing machines so everything he needs costs more than that. Lately, he spends at least 2 days a week just driving out to the airport and paying fees.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:48 AM

Speaking of shipping - About a year ago I saw this "mini hand-held recorder" advertised on tv. I thought it was an EXCELLENT idea and wanted to order one....."but WAIT!" "if you order within the next 5 minutes, we will DOUBLE your order..................you just need to pay for the shipping" Well, they advertised the item for 9.95. This item weighs about 4 ounces each. I called them up to learn shipping was $23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I ended up getting one at Walgreens for $9.96 - no shipping!!:-) - So! BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WATCH THOSE INFORMERCIALS!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM

No such thing as free shipping to Hawaii. I learned the hard way to be very careful of shipping costs because that's where a lot of the profit is made. Guess they figure that's the price we have to pay for living in "paradise." And everything has to be shipped in!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I can see why that would be a thorn in your side. Especially since there are companys in other parts of the world that still ship free to the US. On the flip side, when I have ordered from Canada, they really stick it to us for shipping. I guess their just getting even.
Shipping costs in Canada ARE horrendous. No joke. I couldn't sell quilts off my website because shipping costs were ridiculous.

15.00 to send three little American Girl Doll outfits from one province to the next!