phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
One thing that I have remarked on here in Iowa and I have heard it elsewhere we say warsh for wash and fer instead of for.
Where I grew up, upstate NY, we worshed clothes, and drank cawfee, and went down cellar instead of "to the basement".

When the region got gentrified by the city folks taking over, they would often insult locals by asking where they were from.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 PM

I've heard Walmark instead of Walmart... I mean, are these people blind? How much bigger do you want the sign on the front of the store to be? I don't see a K anywhere in there!

How about if someone is 'having a bird' or 'having a canary'
Doesn't bother me, but I do find it funny when I think about it, where does THAT come from?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi

Where I grew up, upstate NY, we worshed clothes, and drank cawfee, and went down cellar instead of "to the basement".

Oh, my grandmother used to call it a cellar, not a basement :)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
My grandmother always said davenport forwhat I thought was the couch or sofa. Some real country folks say taters.
Yep, my grandmother used to say taters too, taters were on your plate, but the whole potato was called a spud.
I've also heard of davenport, but I never knew what it was, couch? hassock? loveseat?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Davenport is a long couch. Or a city in Iowa!! LOL My daughter and her husband lived in Davenport. Davenport and Des Moines are the two towns in Iowa that are often mentioned in books and on TV. I find that interesting I guess.

Anyway back to the American English language!! LOL I pity anyone trying to learn our English. We have a lot of things that make no sense.

My son had a learning disability and would write everything phonetically. So I got to thinking about words that don't sound the way they are spelled

Once--wuns Easy - (long)Ez
Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

My MIL used to say Poke on the pounds when she was talking about gaining weight! LOL I can see someone using their fingers and poking the fat into your leg or thigh etc!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
Little (and not so little!) boys will say they gotta whiz!
My granddaughter married a man from France who spoke very little English. He used to say he "had to make pee". YUK

And what about "Walmark" and "KMark"? Those two really bother me. Have you ever heard of a "tread meal"?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Oh, yeah, we used to have a K-Mart here a million years ago, ok maybe not, more like 20. I was a kid when it closed, anyway. People used to call it K-Mark all the time, even as a child it drove me crazy!!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
pal

I Hate being referred to as "You guys" in a restaurant.

Pattern has an "r" in it, not "patton"

Erl for Oil, and Terlit for toilet. It seems that when you talk to someone that mispronounces a word you keep waiting for them to say the word again and then miss what they're talking about.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 PM

We always say "fixin' to", that's just proper English. Beloved asks if I'm coming to bed and I reply "I'm fixin' to".

We have people that blah blah blah and add "do you know what I'm saying?" at the end of every. single. sentence. Nuts.

Good hospitality offers guests Coke (various kinds), water, etc. And tea is sweet tea.

When we lived six years in the Tri-State area of N. Georgia, Tn, N. Carolina folks from church would say "You'uns coming over for lunch today?" We would giggle at how weird that was though it was the equivalent of our "ya'll" which actually sounds correct to me.

Ya'll come over. Ya'll come back. Ya'll are welcome anytime.
What are ya'll doing for the holidays?

Native Floridian. Does it show?