Pics of My DGS Colton

Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM

What a fun tribe of boys!
Congratulations on good products <g> ... I know what you mean about having to remember what you did when they were that little - - it is a real eye-opener of an experience, but we wouldn't trade it, would we? LOL
Made me very thankful that God gives babies to young people.
Anyway, my favorite picture is the one where he is cooing at you (in his penguin suit on the checked quilt) ... right about the one where he is smiling. (I like those serious guys <g>) .... and, it is so wonderful that the big brothers are encouraged to be a part of his life - - best gift a parent can give a child is younger siblings, or at least exposure to little kids (good prep work for when they have their own children) <wave>
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
What a fun tribe of boys!
Congratulations on good products <g> ... I know what you mean about having to remember what you did when they were that little - - it is a real eye-opener of an experience, but we wouldn't trade it, would we? LOL
Made me very thankful that God gives babies to young people.
Anyway, my favorite picture is the one where he is cooing at you (in his penguin suit on the checked quilt) ... right about the one where he is smiling. (I like those serious guys <g>) .... and, it is so wonderful that the big brothers are encouraged to be a part of his life - - best gift a parent can give a child is younger siblings, or at least exposure to little kids (good prep work for when they have their own children) <wave>
Thanks! Devon was smitten the moment he first met Colton. I figured after they got home with the baby and reality hit Devon would lose interest but he is very devoted to the baby. He loves taking care of him. He wanted to change his dirty diaper the other day but I didn't let him. LOL. He says he has before. He is a true Woodsmall! They all love the babies.

It was fun doing things I haven't done in so long. My MIL always lays the baby across her knees and rocks them. When Colton was crying I tried it and of course it works as always. It isn't one of my favorite holds but it worked for awhile. DH used the same method later on. With our kids and some of our grands the football hold was the most successful to stop the crying. They liked being held away from the body and my DH and I never treated them like china. Not rough but not wrapped on cotton either. When Colton would cry I held him up above my face a ways and he would stop crying and look at me like what are you doing you crazy lady?? LOL But it would stop the crying for a bit. We both so enjoyed having him. I only hope his momma and daddy aren't too aggravated with our not keeping to their schedule. I heard they were having a hard time getting him to sleep on the schedule they need to keep so everyone gets some sleep.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 AM

I don't know about schedules, but I have been around babies where someone checked on them every ten minutes while they were sleeping. It seemed to create the inability in the babies to sleep a good sleep - - as though they were being conditioned to jerk awake every ten minutes.
I feel very blessed to have been a stay at home mom with my four kids, though I lost a lot of time worrying about how my "liberated woman" status was being impacted.
When I finally realized that being a mother was infinitely more important than keeping up faddish ideas, I could finally see the value of raising secure, loved children.
Know what you mean about handling children with a certain degree of casual, rather than compensating for every possible little bump that might occur.
It has been a long time since I was a new mom, and when there was a three year period between babies, I was amazed at how much I had forgotten! If I could teach the young moms one thing, it would be that while a baby is a lot of work and quite an investment of time and thought, raising children can be very entertaining and impressive, if one will simply allow the child to teach mom who he is and what he can be. <wave>
Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about schedules, but I have been around babies where someone checked on them every ten minutes while they were sleeping. It seemed to create the inability in the babies to sleep a good sleep - - as though they were being conditioned to jerk awake every ten minutes.
I feel very blessed to have been a stay at home mom with my four kids, though I lost a lot of time worrying about how my "liberated woman" status was being impacted.
When I finally realized that being a mother was infinitely more important than keeping up faddish ideas, I could finally see the value of raising secure, loved children.
Know what you mean about handling children with a certain degree of casual, rather than compensating for every possible little bump that might occur.
It has been a long time since I was a new mom, and when there was a three year period between babies, I was amazed at how much I had forgotten! If I could teach the young moms one thing, it would be that while a baby is a lot of work and quite an investment of time and thought, raising children can be very entertaining and impressive, if one will simply allow the child to teach mom who he is and what he can be. <wave>
The one thing that has been on my mind is how exciting it is to see Colton's personality emerge. Devon is very interested in learning all he can and loves to spend time on the computer. He has a need to put things in their place and is very quick to help. Daymon is involved in his own ideas of having fun and he needs to be recognized by the adults and given praise so he feels good about himself. He is a hugger and Devon gets so disgusted with him always wanteing to hug his brother. Devon started this no hugs thing when he met Mark a friend at school. He and Devon have a no hugs rule for some unknown reason.

So I am curious to see how Colton will deal with life. The twins have obviously been affected by being two at a time and Colton won't have that but he will have to deal with his older brothers too. My son Glen is a laid back sort of person and I hoped Colton would be too. So far I think he is a bit spoiled and maybe a bit of colic or tummy troubles from time to time. Time will tell what kind of personality he will have!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM

A drop of peppermint in his water bottle should help the colic and tummy upsets.
Pretty hard to be a layed back personality when you are being hauled to day care every day (just an assumption on my part) ... children are extremely portable and very durable, but some things we put them through do damage to their little psyches.
I like finding their personalities, too! There are so many wonders that children can reveal about themselves if we take time to let them show us. It was part of enjoying parenting that I found to be highly beneficial for myself, too! I know that you have discovered that being a parent isn't always having all the answers, but being willing to learn so that little ones can learn to grow, too <wave>
Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

those are some of the cutest pictures, Rhonda! I just want to reach in and hug him and play with him! :XD: sweeet!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Miss Mousie! I love taking pics of the kids.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

A drop of peppermint in his water bottle should help the colic and tummy upsets.
Pretty hard to be a layed back personality when you are being hauled to day care every day (just an assumption on my part) ... children are extremely portable and very durable, but some things we put them through do damage to their little psyches.
I like finding their personalities, too! There are so many wonders that children can reveal about themselves if we take time to let them show us. It was part of enjoying parenting that I found to be highly beneficial for myself, too! I know that you have discovered that being a parent isn't always having all the answers, but being willing to learn so that little ones can learn to grow, too <wave>
Yeah we've done the peppermint thing too. I tried to tell my SIL when Joey was born that it would help but he would't let me til they talked to the dr! LOL He was their first child and Ben was in Chiro school. He is also one to go by the book! LOL He has learned in the last 12 yrs tho!

Angie doesn't work so she hadn't been apart from Colton til I offered to keep him. None of my grands went to day care or babysitters. My middle son's wife brought the kids to me. It was a bit of a drive but I watched them when they weren't in school or her best friend had them. Sara has always been able to be with her kids. She worked 3 jobs to help put Ben through college and then when they moved home she helped in the office so between Ben's mom and me she has never had to take the kids anywhere. I had Nathan's Jake from the time he was a few months old til he started school.

Sara and I both worked in day care and we ran our own day care for about a year and a half. I still tend to do things as if I am still doing daycare. I do activities with them some and I was thinking that the twins and Rachel would be my last ones to enjoy learning and doing all the songs and finger plays they love to do. But now we will have Colton to do all this with again! Love it!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:24 PM

I LIKE your family structure. <wave>
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I LIKE your family structure. <wave>
Thanks Omak the Lord has been good and we have been blessed with being able to have the kids as much as we want.

It is good for Glen as he suffers from depression and it gives him a reason to get up when they are here. We also love being able to have some input into what kind of people they become. It is important to us. When I say something to the kids that I have used forever Rachel will say that's what my Mom says!! LOL It is nice to know the values we care about are being handed down to the kids. Sara has used us to reinforce her lessons on honesty and other things with Joey. He went through a tough time and was real rebellious at about 9 and 10. Would be real mean and disrespectful. We all impressed on him it wasn't allowed in our house! My grands all know what is and isn't allowed. Joey had some screaming fits and spit etc. But he spent time on a chair and lost his computer and other things and with that and meds being changed he came out of it to be a nice thoughtful young man.