Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Picture of the "sewing soldier." >
  • Picture of the "sewing soldier."

• Picture of the "sewing soldier."

Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Default My wonderful skirt in Home Ec. class

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz

I wish home ec was still being taught everywhere. Cooking, sewing, shopping, budgeting are good and vital life skills.

Shop classes are going by the wayside also. SMH.

I don't understand why kids aren't learning these things at school anymore even though they should be taught at home as well...
    I agree! It is sad that Homemaking was dropped from schools. Lack of dollars. The Teacher's Union won't allow a person to teach that isn't accredited even if that person is an experienced expert. There would be lots of women willing to donate their time at school for this class, but again, a powerful union stops it. I was fortunate to get one year of Homemaking.

We were taught to make a "twirly" skirt without a pattern. I worked so hard on that skirt, and I was elated when I finished. I snipped the last little thread, and oh,oh, I cut a V shape hole in the skirt! At that time I had no idea what to do with it. Now I realize all I had to do was sew a tiny seam over the hole as the skirt had lots of material as we always wore crinolines underneath. ~~sheepish smile~~~
    Old 03-24-2015, 03:13 PM
    Power Poster

My DH has been sewing since he needed to sew a tear in his summer shorts at the age of 7. He really got into. Then his father caught him pressing some material and said he was to never touch an iron again. He didn't when his father was home.
    Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Whenever I had a male customer,(especially a young one) who expressed some doubt or reluctance to admit to sewing, I pointed out that it did wonderful things for people like Eddie Bauer, Calvin Klein, Ricky Tims, John Flynn. We had a saying in the 60's "Different strokes for different folks". In the 21st century it seems we should have developed more awareness and acceptance of our differences.