Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
rb.

May I suggest, for all who are on meds for depression or anxiety, google Mindfulness Meditation. It is a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, geared to different things...stress management, anxiety, depression, etc. I started it a few weeks ago, after several counselling sessions based on standard CBT. This is not talk therapy, but a new way of looking at EVERYTHING. Your past, your present, your reactions, your stress levels, etc.

I've been on anxiety medication since 2000, with some crazy rides when they tried new ones. Blech! I wouldn't have made it to 2010 without meds, but I must say that this minfulness program (medical program, referred by my physician, paid by the Canadian medical system) I need far, far less of my meds, and I haven't had a panic attack in more than a month. I was having several a week.

Please look into it, whether you want to quit meds or stay on them. Good chance it can help.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I have never had depression and hope I never do. I'm sorry for the ones that do have it and hope all of you get help and/or have help.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by imjustme
I am thinking about getting pills for depression. A woman at work takes them because of issues at home and said they help her. I want to try them. My brother passed away almost 2 years ago and I have gotten really good at acting like I am ok, when in fact I am not. I went to a counselor for awhile, but that didn't help. I am in a online support group for siblings that lost a sibling. I do have good moments , but I do very badly when I am alone. I think its because then I don't have to act like I have it all together. I just try to straighten up before I get out of the car. My life and how I feel now is nothing like how I use to be. I just keep thinking about that day and what happend, and how I don't know how long it will be before I get to see him again.
My sister suffered from depression really bad. Please, please go ask for help. You have children and a husband that love you very much and need you. You can see all throughout this thread how much medicine can help and it sure sounds like it will help you tremendously.

I think this a wonderfully eye opening thread. Thank you Marsye for starting it so that many other people can understand more about depression.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Marsye, you can run over to my house if the beating on your door gets to bad. LOL We will just sew up a storm and forget the world's problems. LOL

This topic has been good and informative. A lot of people do not understand depression. People that are newly aquainted with me are shocked if they learn I have depression. I do try to be upbeat and strong but I do have my days when it is tough. Cognitive Therapy works in many cases. Counseling helps some. From May until October I usually go off of my meds and do fine. Without fail by Nov. I have to begin taking them again. Pressure, stress, poor diet, lack of sleep & lack of sunshine does a # on me. Knowing these things & doing something positive about it, I can take a low doseage.

Thank You for starting this topic.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rb.
May I suggest, for all who are on meds for depression or anxiety, google Mindfulness Meditation. It is a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy......
It took me a while to understand this approach.

http://www.mindfulness.com/

piney
Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM

I have to chime in too. I've been on anti-depressants for 6 yrs and was on anti-anxiety meds for the past 2 yrs. My depression was so bad that I had to be hospitalized several times. I couldn't eat and was down to 80 lbs. The medication saved my life.
I had severe anxiety attacks starting several yrs ago. Went to the ER along with hospitalization. It got so bad that I tried to terminate me. But with the help of my psychiatrist and psychologist, they got me through it.
Now, I feel great. Only down to 1 pill a day, but that keeps me level. And if any symptoms appear, I know what I have to do to stop it in it's tracks. But, I truly know what depression and anxiety can do. Thank God for chemistry! Without medication, I wouldn't be here today.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM

True depression is very different from just having a "bad day". We all have bad days. We get over it and go on. Depression is a feeling of hopelessness. It's not being able to get out of bed in the morning to be able to go on. Be thankful if you have never suffered from depression, and for heaven's sake don't look down on those who have. I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. This is another disease people don't understand. I sometimes think if one more person tells me that "everybody" is tired I'll scream. Not having the energy to put one foot in front of the other to walk isn't just being tired. I have to force myself to quilt! I've learned not to judge others or jump to conclusions when I have no experience to back those feelings up. I'm also a nurse. I know first hand that no matter how rough things get for me, there is always someone else worse off.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

EllaBud I am so very glad that you are here to date and know when problems arise and what to do about them. Bless your heart, you are an amazing person to overcome what you have. And I too Thank God for modern day meds. I wish I did not have to take a pill of any kind ever, but maybe one day.

Hugs
Gram
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

I'll take all the pills everyone is by passing. At my age, every hour I feel bad is an hour wasted.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Dogs are good too. My moms dog will pick up stuff she drops like spools of thread and not even slobber on it but give the dog a tennis ball and the thing is soaked in 30 seconds

and just to comment on this thread I take meds for depression too. And it is because I take medicine for my epilepsy. I thought I was going crazy after I had been on my epilepsy meds for about a year and then my dr recommend an anti-depressent and it has done wonders for me. I can function again. And I think the negative views on taking the meds just comes from people not understanding what people who have dealt with depression go through. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.