Pioneers in Kansas

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Thank you for the title of this book. I found it on amazon and I will order it.

What amazes me about this era is that the people cherished even the small things. In the first book I read, the heroine inherits a bonnet from a friend. Later on the book she feels that her life might be in danger, so she makes a request. Should something happen to her, her bonnet must be sent to a friend of her who has not bonnet of her own.

It makes me think of all the things one takes for granted because we have many options and resources today.

Originally Posted by bakermom
try finding the book "Pioneer Women :voices from the kansas frontier. the book is by a woman whose Grandmother or Gr -grandmother asked the women that settled the area to write down their experiences and send them to her. They did and the collection of letters was made into a book.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by klarina
The author is Catherine Palmer. The first book is Prairie Rose, the second book, which I am reading now is Prairie Fire and there is a third book but i don't remember the title. All three books belong to a series called A Town Called Hope.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I'm. These books speak about faith, endurance, love and values.
Thanks, Klarina! I will look for Prairie Rose.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Oh good! I think you will really enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM

I have been reading historical romances of pioneers in Kansas. Families in the prairie living in sod houses. I'm impressed with all the things these people had to endure.

I'm reading the second book on a sequel of "A Town called Hope" and right now, I feel like canning, baking, cleaning all day long, washing clothes in the river and waking up at dawn to start all over again. (the quilting part I'm already doing it, lol).

I was born and raised in Mexico. The USA is my adopted country. I did not go to elementary school here, so this is the first time I hear about the life of pioneers in Kansas and the sod houses. I am in awe.

I feel like I would like to live there and be one of them, but then again, If I were there I would not have with me my ipad to read historial romances. lol.
I just read that about 3 weeks ago. Loved it. I love anything historical
Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM

The author is Catherine Palmer. The first book is Prairie Rose, the second book, which I am reading now is Prairie Fire and there is a third book but i don't remember the title. All three books belong to a series called A Town Called Hope.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I'm. These books speak about faith, endurance, love and values.
All of these are more are in the "Love Inspired" imprint from Steeple Hill / Harlequin. Excellent reading, excellent authors...

http://www.loveinspiredauthors.com/authors.php
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks
I love these type of books also, especially stories centered around the dust bowl days. My Mamaw told some stories, but was ashamed and saddened of those times also. A great book about the depression is The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. I feel like I can "connect" having grown up in the Texas panhandle and now living in NW Oklahoma. Happy Reading!
Great book! I had a hard time putting that one down. I also loved, loved, loved the Little House books. I bought a set of all of them to give to my DGDs when they are a little older--or even better, read them to the girls. It's fun to romanticize (sp?) those times but they were so hard. We can only imagine the hardships.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM

get your local librarian to help -- many libraries have lists of related readings -- our local has 3 friendly people to help with this -- they are quite knowledgeable and can use the search engines to help
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM

I just went to my local library. I got the first book in the Little House on the Prairie series. I started reading it yesterday night. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by Abby'smom
get your local librarian to help -- many libraries have lists of related readings -- our local has 3 friendly people to help with this -- they are quite knowledgeable and can use the search engines to help
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM

I didn't know what was the dust bowl days. I just ready about them in wikipedia. I must have been very hard for people living in those days.

When you speak about your mamaw, I understand about feeling saddened, but why ashamed?

i will look for the bok you recommend. I think I just openend the door to historical reading and I'm fascinated by all the stories that are emerging.

Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks
I love these type of books also, especially stories centered around the dust bowl days. My Mamaw told some stories, but was ashamed and saddened of those times also. A great book about the depression is The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. I feel like I can "connect" having grown up in the Texas panhandle and now living in NW Oklahoma. Happy Reading!