Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • plastic mats for the homeless. >
  • plastic mats for the homeless.

• plastic mats for the homeless.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

I looked it up on a site--plarn --is plastic and yarn--new to me too !
    Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Great idea to help so many in need.
    Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 AM

I was on vacation in a beach area and none of the grocery stores use plastic bags anymore. (County-wide law).Just paper. So get them while you can, I think banning them is the wave of the future.
    Old 10-07-2018, 12:14 PM

I read where Kroger stores are phasing out the plastic bags & are going to stop using them by the year 2025. I'm sure more stores will follow.
    Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    Plants???? Don't follow....is this mentioned on one of the videos? and how to they play into the mats?
    Planters for plants. I mentioned the planters to give people some idea of the longevity of plarn when it has constant exposure to the elements. The bags that I use inside the house are more than ten years old and only show signs of wear on the handles. The mats should last longer than the planters if they are only exposed at night and rolled into the bed roll during the day.
    Old 10-07-2018, 08:52 PM

I don't know how well it would hold up, but you could add a layer of heavy vinyl (clear or other) to the back of a quilt after it's quilted by sewing it on in the binding. I don't know what the cost would be. It comes in different weights. You might need to use a roller foot to get it through your machine.

The plarn project is a wonderful way of encouraging people to help by investing their time and not money. I don't know of a way to do that with quilting. Many quilt guilds do charity work and there are plenty of people in shelters who would benefit from a conventional type of quilt, and of course, there's also Project Linus.
    Old 10-08-2018, 02:09 AM

the lady in greensborough is who got me interested in this. yes I watched all the links. as for the quilting, yes, I have gotten involved in a couple of places here and as for linus as well. anyway lkadies just want to thankyou. so no sewing these. I still gotta try that plant holder one. y'all have a great day!!
    Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
    Power Poster

I live in Suffolk County, NY The whole island has banned the plastic bags, as of 1/1/18.
    if yu want one, it's a nickel a piece now. they will soon be banned altogether.
    Old 10-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I was on vacation in a beach area and none of the grocery stores use plastic bags anymore. (County-wide law).Just paper. So get them while you can, I think banning them is the wave of the future.
    Of course, it is. The stores will save a lot of money that way and more profits make the execs and share holders happy.
    Old 10-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    I do love to quilt, and I am getting back into due to a 3 year hiatus. I do have a question and don't really know how to put it on here. I am interested in the plastic mat ministry, making mats for the homeless, this is a more hands-on type thing and not sewing, more cutting & crocheting. my thing is ,is there a way to sew these bags somehow? I guess it would have to be a special machine to do this.
    You would not want to sew the bags together, but why not iron them together? Seems like a lot less work to me. I was going to add a link to a YouTube but there are so many. I suggest you type in “Iron Grocery Bags Together” on YouTube to see one or several different projects with ironed-grocery bags.

This is a little off the question you asked but: I have made the candy bag purses. They are fast, easy and fun. First one I carried in public, my friend oohed and ahhed over it, so I gave it to her. Plan to make another for myself. I have made a few different bags for Christmas gifts too. (This little coin purse size is the only one I could get to upload).

Forgot to say these candy bags use vynal to protect the bag.
    Attached Thumbnails 78688b46-aa52-449c-a15b-85143a3ef6fa.jpeg  

Last edited by Ellen 1; 10-08-2018 at 02:30 PM.