The Platinum Rule

Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Most of us are familiar with "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" -

Another example: A silver-plate (not top of the line, either) meat serving tray - definitely not my style - and none of my kids want it either. We use Corelle for dishes.

Another example: I would love to get gift certificates for JoAnn's. My family says "Oh, you don't need any more sewing stuff." I really don't, but what does that have to do with anything?
For your silver tray. Our quilting group has a table set up for give-away. There is always someone who needs something. Whether fabric or whatever. After my parent's deaths, I got rid of several things. One was a beautiful crystal cake plate. Another a lace table cloth. I have no need so either.

We use Corelle too. With all their chips and stains. They work fine for us. They were purchased shortly after our marriage - 40 years ago.

Most of my friends love a gift card for Joanns or a gift certificate to LQS.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM

A couple years ago my mom had a birhtday party for me & my brother(we are twins). I think we turned 32. Anyway, she invited family and friends. My aunt wanted to know what to buy me. I told her to get me a 12 pack of soda!! She did and I thought it was awesome!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:10 PM

I believe a gift certificate in any amount to any Quilt Shop would be appreciated by a quilter... even if person giving it can only afford to spend $5.... Without my knowledge, last summer my GGGD had a lemonade stand to raise money to buy me a present for my birthday. In her small neighborhood she made almost $7. She then asked her mom to take her to Joann's where she purchased a GS for me. When I heard all she did to get it for me, it actually brought tears to my eyes!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I believe a gift certificate in any amount to any Quilt Shop would be appreciated by a quilter... even if person giving it can only afford to spend $5.... Without my knowledge, last summer my GGGD had a lemonade stand to raise money to buy me a present for my birthday. In her small neighborhood she made almost $7. She then asked her mom to take her to Joann's where she purchased a GS for me. When I heard all she did to get it for me, it actually brought tears to my eyes!
That was a priceless gift!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM

When I met my husband I did not own a piece of jewelry. To this day I only wear my wedding ring and another ring he gave me. I NEVER wear necklaces and have repeatedly told him I want a ring with the 3 small diamonds in a row. I have yet to get it and if I suggest something I get something off of an infomercial.... (insert laugh here) Last year he gave me a nuwave oven I was so mad that he would do this, however I no longer use my oven because I love this gift so much!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM

boy do I know what you mean! Dh tends to get me things to help me out.....like one of those ready set go things. He absolutely loves it and asks why i don't use it more often. Well the darn thing sticks and takes 2x as long cook an egg as my trusty old cast iron pan that rinses clean! Never mind the fact that I never cook just one egg...there are 8 of us here! Doesn't bother him that it sticks....he doesn't have to clean it! I kinda dread Christmas...I'll have to squeeze another appliance that won't be used in under the counter. And of course i can't get rid of one....the minute I do he'll decide to cook something and what do you think he will want to use?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:39 PM

My current DH and I have agreed from the first year together to not try to buy. We get what we want, when we want (if money allows). My late DH would NOT buy me the big mixer I wanted -- would NOT buy me appliance (and controlled the purse strings). He would buy me jewelry that was expensive. After he died, the first Christmas my children went together and got me that mixer that I'd wanted for years. :) The jewelry has been given to my kids because living in the country, I don't wear jewelry! --- the mixer is still being used --- and every time I get it out, I remember the love from my children.

Another story -- my dear father never knew what to buy. One year he bought my mother a fishing pole.....she likes to fish, but didn't think that was "good" enough. So on his birthday, she bought him a coat --- a nice velore that she wore to parties :). Years later, he died, she remarried. Her current DH buys her jewelry --- she has commented that all it does is sit in the jewelry box.......yip -- he won't fish, boy does she wish he'd give her a fishing pole.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Been reading this post over again, and it sounds as if we all want the samething. Just something that they actually think to buy on their own, and actually something we will like and use. Maybe we ARE too hard on them!LOL! I think they really try, maybe we are just getting too spoiled, or maybe we don't really know what we want either. When we are able to go buy what we want , when we want it and they don't complain, well, time to overlook some of their faults. I know my husband loves me, and I know he wants me to have nice things, but he figures I can buy the other "stuff" when I want it. It's sort of like him telling me he needs new underwear for Xmas. I don't want to buy him underwear, he can buy his own! See what I've been getting at?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Long time ago I hated getting Gift cards...thought that was impersonal. SP? Now I love it! Give me a GFC for my favorite online QS anyday.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM

My family is getting the same way. My mother kept asking me for a list of what I wanted for birthday/christmas. Honestly all I wanted was something I didn't pick out, something that she felt I'd like. Of course when she heard what I "really" wanted she didn't like that either :( A massage table isn't that expensive.... honest *Innocent look*