The Platinum Rule

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM

My late Mother was absolutely thrilled with my usual gifts. I would take her address book (She LOVED to hand write her family back in WV, every day or so) and I addressed a massive amount of envelopes, stamped them, put on her return address (she hated printed ones) added lots and lots of writing paper that she used and gave this to her. This was before the Internet.

This might be good for other older folks who love to send cards, pictures and letters..some folks are not on the Internet!! Believe it or not.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM

My fave platinum rule involves jewelry. For me.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
A couple weeks ago, my husband said he doesn't think WE have to exchange gifts this year - we can always just go get what we want. Well, he should have told me this months ago - I wouldn't have gotten him anything! He had the nerve to tell me if I see a 3-level cat hutch I should get MYSELF one for Christmas! I said that is the cat's gift -not mine! I work real hard making sure both our kids and spouses get something they want for Christmas and some surprises. It's too easy to get gifts for the 3 year old granddaughter - I have to tell myself to stop! We have a big family seafood dinner for all (about 25 people) the week before Christmas. Oysters to pat, crabcakes to make, cookies to bake, roast beef to roast. Trees to put up, cleaning to be done. And then dinner on Christmas day. Can't my husband come up with one thing he can find for me? I guess I am venting too.
Mmm, I want to come and eat with you this year! Sounds like a wonderful Christmas Dinner. I will bring you a nice surprise, too. :)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 PM

The first year we were married (44 years ago), my DH wanted me to make a list of things I would like for Christmas. I made my list - offered many ideas for him to choose from. I was floored and embarrassed at Christmas when he had gotten me EVERYTHING on that darn list. Bless his heart anyway, he must have thought I was a greedy ****. We still laugh about that Christmas, but he still has no clue about anything I'd like unless I tell him - or have a DD let him know.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm just happy that they think enough of me to buy me something. Dh has never bought me a ring, that would be nice.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I think I have it pretty good this year. I'm a single mom, so it's just my son and I as a nuclear family. Since he was born, I've taken license to buy myself jewelry for Christmas, Mothers Day and my birthday. No one else ever bought me jewelry, so I decided my son will. When he was 4 months old, he "bought" me diamond earrings. Good taste eh? (yes, I'm Canadian)
Now, he has a Big Brother. (mentor) So last week, I sent them out with money (budgeted amount) and a list of what I like and what NOT to buy- anything perfumey.
So, when they got home, my son quickly scurried upstairs to hide my gift. This year, it WILL be a surprise. I can't wait.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 PM

I guess I have a very unique husband. We always give each other lists, don't buy everything on them, but he always manages to surprise me with the things I didn't even know I wanted til he bought them! No kidding. The year Tivo came out, I didn't even know about it and he bought me one. I was one happy camper. He always remembers things I have noticed during the year and have forgotten about, they show up on Christmas. He has always been the romantic one in the family and always comes up with inovative ideas. For our 10th wedding anniversary (34 years ago) he gave me a box of money. Yes, money. One hundred dollars for every year we had been married. Doesn't sound like a lot now, but at that time, $l,000 was a lot, and we were moving to a new house. Wish I had his imagination.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:32 AM

it is the same for a lot of us,sounds like.
one year, my husband bought me a diamond necklace and a 1 piece carhart construction outfit..for winter..( i worked outside on the river back then)
the kids told him the necklace was a waste of money.
and it was.
that jumpsuit was the best present ever! every winter, i felt loved when i wore it..and warm!
Last year he got me a kitchen-aid mixer..i don't bake. i cook, but not bake
the year before he got me a kindle(?) i would rather have a book in my hand..
every year i tell them all..i would love :
a pair of flannel PJ's..
a heated water bowl for the birds outside

one year, i started collecting dept 56,snow village, so they would know what to get me..to help them buy something! lol

i "listen" to my husband all year..and get him something he mentioned.

last year, for my daughter, i found deals on line to get pictures developed..i took all the pictures off my computer of her and her family,kids and had them developed..they were all arranged by month..and i got a cropper hopper storage container and arranged them for her for the past year. She thought it was the best gift ever!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 AM

Give her mom a big hug. She has taught her daughter the meaning of gift giving and true love. This little girl will go far. She has a pure heart.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 AM

Gift giving can be tricky sometimes. I remember being a young child going to Woolworth's with my coin purse to purchase special occasion gifts. My poor mother had quite the assortment of really bad colognes on her dresser. The thing is, she kept and loved those gifts because I had taken such effort to get them for her. Maybe this is what is meant by the thought counting most.