The Platinum Rule

Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I think I have it pretty good this year. I'm a single mom, so it's just my son and I as a nuclear family. Since he was born, I've taken license to buy myself jewelry for Christmas, Mothers Day and my birthday. No one else ever bought me jewelry, so I decided my son will. When he was 4 months old, he "bought" me diamond earrings. Good taste eh? (yes, I'm Canadian)
Now, he has a Big Brother. (mentor) So last week, I sent them out with money (budgeted amount) and a list of what I like and what NOT to buy- anything perfumey.
So, when they got home, my son quickly scurried upstairs to hide my gift. This year, it WILL be a surprise. I can't wait.
i think you have it all worked out. training him so when he has a wife he will know how to shop for her. good job :)

sounds like we all have different wants/needs when it comes to gift receiving. seems like early on i wanted pretty things i would not buy for myself. the middle years i actually asked for things like a waffle iron (i love waffles). now i want things that make me happy or comfortable. i make a list for my kids and they are free to get whatever they want to from that list. that way i am surprised but i get what i wanted. my list includes everything from peace on earth, a new car, to slippers or a robe so they also have a choice of things they can afford. of course, it always includes gift certificates for quilting or crafting.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Most of us are familiar with "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" -

Sometimes we need to think of the platinum rule - especially when it comes to gift giving - "Do unto others as they would like to be done unto"

For example - My DH gave me an electric coffeepot (about 1962) - and it was a nice coffeepot - EXCEPT I don't drink coffee and don't like the smell of coffee brewing. I suppose the thinking was that it would make it easier for me to make coffee for HIM - that was back in the days when I still did things like that.

Another example: A silver-plate (not top of the line, either) meat serving tray - definitely not my style - and none of my kids want it either. We use Corelle for dishes.

There are times I would much rather have an inexpensive token or note that shows that the person was paying attention to what I like and do - than a more expensive item that totally ignored my likes and dislikes.

The best rifle in the world - no, thank you -
All of my (older) sewing machines serviced - yes, please.

Another example: I would love to get gift certificates for JoAnn's. My family says "Oh, you don't need any more sewing stuff." I really don't, but what does that have to do with anything?
I have always felt the platinum rule was the best way to go.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM

My DH cannot by gifts. He once bought me 2 all-weather coats (sz 9)I wore sz 16. He now gives me money. The color is right and the size is right. I love it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM

My DH cannot by gifts. He once bought me 2 all-weather coats (sz 9)I wore sz 16. He now gives me money. The color is right and the size is right. I love it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM

My husband love to buy diamonds (I know sounds great) but we seldom go anywhere to wear all the fancy jewerly he bys me. So last year I kept hinting fI wanted a serger and low and behold he got me a Babylock Imagine. This year I don't even know what I want seems I have every thing I need or want so I haven't said anything we will see what he comes up with.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Our first Christmas, DH bought me a shovel. We had just moved into our new home so it was used a lot, but hardly romantic! Last year I got a new Janome for Christmas!!! He's not too good at buying me clothes, so I'd prefer he didn't!
I started giving the older DGC gift cards a few years ago and it works out perfectly!!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

We've agreed to not exchange gifts - he goes golfing during the year - I buy sewing/quilting stuff -

We're both at the point where "more stuff" sometimes translates into "more clutter"

Although CHOCOLATE is always good for me :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM

True Story:

My uncle was a police officer. One year just before Christmas he told my aunt he had to go to court on a case even though it was his day off. Shortly after he left, his partner called looking for him and said they didn't have a court date today. (Idiot!)

When my uncle got home, my aunt was hammering her wedding into the hard wood floor! He asked what she was doing and she let him have it! Accusing him of having an affair, etc. After she stopped ranting and raving, he gave her a beautiful diamond watch (he had gone to pick up) and told her it was the last Christmas Gift he would EVER buy for her. After that, he gave her money but never again did he buy her a surprise gift.

Years later after my aunt and then my uncle passed away, I inherited my aunt's antique hat box she used for a sewing box. At the bottom of the box amongst rusty pins and bobbins, my DH who wouldn't let me throw the mess out without going through it all, found that 'hammered' ring, missing a diamond chip and bent all to heck and back.

If is one of my cherished posessions!

Peggy
(pfreezing in pflorida!)
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 PM

My youngest daughter always went shopping with her Dad for my Christmas presents. She was his personal shopper. She knew exactly what to buy me and I never took back the things he gave me that she picked out. The day that they went shopping was a day my husband looked forward to all year. They would go out to lunch and he would always buy her something for helping him shop. We lost her 4 years ago. My husband has a horrible time shopping for me now. It hurts to much.

A couple of years ago he took me shopping on Christmas Eve. It was snowing and we went to the Old Mill and walked into every store. There was no one shopping so we got the royal treatment. I tried on clothes and we laughed and and a wonderful time. He also took me to lunch and we watched the snow fall over the river as we ate. I didn't have anything to open under the tree, but I didn't care. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve together and after losing our daughter it was the best present he could have given me.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks for this thread. It made me realize what great gifts my DH always gets me. I've only had to return one or two in the 41 years we've been married. He always asks what I want, but then gets me a suprise. Think I'll keep him. Oh yea and this year I've already gotten a new HQ16 that is suppose to be my gift, but he'll get me something else too.