The Platinum Rule

Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM

You should all be happy with a DH that buys you anything. I didn't get one single gift from my first H. No birthday, anniversary, or Christmas gift the entire 6 1/2 years we were married. Not a single gift.

I don't care at all what my hubby buys me. I appreciate the fact that he goes and shops and buys me something at all.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Watch what you say. One xmas I got a garden hose. I couldn't believe it. He told me "well,you said you wanted one" my reply was "but not for xmas" oh!well
Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 PM

I have to be real careful about saying I want something, bc DH thinks he has to get it for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have to be real careful about saying I want something, bc DH thinks he has to get it for me.
Now you are bragging. :lol:
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM

My family always manages to give me things I enjoy. One year one of my daughters bought me some beautiful fabric to make fashionable scarves with because I would not buy them and one year my husband bought me something to sleep in for every night of the week because months earlier I had said that someday jI was going to have that instead of wearing the same 2 all the time. Even my boys managed to do okay. My middle som one time gave me a tiny pink pig bank with a few coins in it, I think he was 6 or 7 and it still sits on my shelf. I hate when someone thinks I want something that I will never use. My friends and family are supposed to know me!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 PM

My DH goes shopping on Christmas Eve just before the stores close and usually does find much. Sometimes I get perfume. ButI like surprises.

When my children were younger, my youngest son was the only one who listened to what I liked or wanted. He would make sure Dh got it. He is 45 yrs old, married with two children so he doesn't have much time to do that anymore. So this year I just told my DH I wanted a Kindle. But I think I will probably have to order it, he doesn't have a clue when it comes to electronics. My 7 yr old DGD heard and I know she will bug him, she is going to be like her Dad
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

[quote=janRN]I hate for anyone to buy me clothes-I don't even like to buy me clothes. I either wear jeans (at home, etc) or a uniform (at work). One year my DH (or AH at that time) bought me a three piece suit. What??? That was exchanged in a hurry.\

I'm having such fun filling in words for the AH!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM

My husband and I save up and give ourselves a trip to Disney World every year. For us it really is a Happy place. This year was special because it gave us a much needed time for fun before finding out about his cancer needs. We go the Monday after Thanksgiving because it is much less crowded then. Then on Christmas day we call all of our family and if the weather is good we go to the beach for wave and dolphin gazing if the weather permits. Some people think we must be lonely on the holidays with just the two of us. We always tell them as long as we have each other we are happy. We take gifts to the family when we visit them up north in the early summer.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 AM

As I read this thread, I am so glad I only buy for children at Christmas time. If you are over 18, you don't get a gift from me because Christmas is for kids.

I loved to shop, but hated trying to figure out what to get the older gang, had too many to shop for, was in debt yearly because of it, always wanted to get something personal and useful, but it was frustrating, and it drove me crazy to get gifts from someone that had nothing to do with who I was and I really felt many gifts were just obligatory purchases.

Now, I tell everyone to please purchase gifts for children who are needy through any agency of thier choice, and I will do the same. It makes Christmas such a wonderful time for me now.

My son is grown, he is 35, and gives me a novelty gift every year, but promises me that he spent money on a needy child too. I still won't give him a gift! He blessed me with a grand daughter this year, and I have 6 boxes all ready to mail for under the tree for her. I'm so excited to have a baby to buy for again!

I love gift cards too! I give them alot and love to get them. However, the best gift I ever got was from my little nephew who spent $1 on patriotic window clings for my car. He knows Aunti loves the American Flag and patriotic songs so he had to get them for me. Now, there is a kid who is paying attention to who I am!

Diane
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 AM

My mom always said "Don't get me anything. Having a good meal with all the family is gift enough for me." Now that is my saying. Spending time with family is the best gift there is.