The Platinum Rule

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 AM

One year when my son was about 8 or 9 he wanted to 'shop' for his Nana by himself. I would stand nearby or just outside if it were a small store at the mall. Finally, he cam running out of a tobacco shoppe and said he need Nana's gift money. He came out with a horse's head (chest piece) that was almost as big as he was. It must be 20-24". He was so proud so we made a big deal about his shopping all my himself.

God bless my mom, she opened the gift, put on a big smile and gave him a giant hug for the gift. It stood proudly in her living room until she passed away. I now have it sitting atop a curio cabinet and my son groans every time he sees it! (He's 32 now.)

Peggy in "We broke a record at 25 degrees", Florida
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 AM

I feel for you. When I was a young mother of 2 toddlers, for Christmas my husband had a girl who worked for him shop for me. I got 2 wool shirts and dress blouses. I was a stay at home mom, where was I going to wear work clothes. A couple of running suits would have been more practical. We did return them, but the store was in the city and really only featured work type clothes.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

One year, early in our marriage my (now ex) husband bought me a set of KITCHEN KNIVES for Valentines Day. Besides being inappropriate, we didn't need them and could not afford them. For his birthday in May I got him kitchen curtains. I wish I could say it taught him a lesson, but alas, that was not the case.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have to be real careful about saying I want something, bc DH thinks he has to get it for me.
Now you are bragging. :lol:
Yep, I am. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 AM

My DH is an angel, and would get me anything at all that I wanted, He tried clothing (can never find the right size), bought me boots ( I wear a size 3 shoe) so go find some that fit. HA Then he asked my SIL what to do. She said go with a JoAnn's gift card, you can't go wrong. Now each year he adds an additional amount to my Joann's card and I LOVE IT. Doesn't even have to wrap it as far as I'm concerned, just put tht puppy in an envelope and hang it in the tree.
He gets tools and a gift card from me for Craftsman Tools. If I bought the tool, it would be the wrong one.
We do surprise each other with small things, but the big ones, both of us count on.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Several years ago our family started exchanging money for Christmas. At Thanksgiving there is an envelope for each of us and we pass them around among the family members.No one knows who gives what. You then buy what you WANT and have to wrap it and open it at Christmas. Can't use it, read it, sew it, listen to it etc until after you open it and show it to everyone else. We all love it.It's like found money and you have to do your own shopping. That's the only time my one son goes to town! DH and I give each other a week at North Bend State Park. Just the 2 of us alone together for a week! YEAH!!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
OMG! That sounds so like me!! I use to get nice surprises from hubby for Xmas, he loved buying me pretty clothes and nice jewelry. That was before I got too fat for the really sharp outfits he liked, and before I had more jewelry than I can ( or do) wear. Now he wants me to make a list of what I want, show pictures, tell him where to get it, etc. and he will go buy . The kids do me the same. I KNOW they are trying to please me, but I would much rather have a surprise to open. I guess it is the kid in me, but I like to be surprised once a year. Forty years ago all I really wanted was a new sewing machine that did something more than my FW. I hinted and hinted for that, for many years,told my daughter what kind I would really like to have( so she could tell him if he asked her), and I never did get that as a surprise . For him, it wasn't "fun" to shop for something like that, it would sound so dull when he told the "guys at work" what he was getting me. I finally used my own money and bought myself one! And now I've done the same again. When I was a kid, my sister had a Singer toy sewing machine, and of course I got to play with it as I grew up. Two years ago I saw a replica of that toy at Hancocks, told hubby I really would love to have one ( "WHY?"). Explained my reason for wanting it( sister didn't sew, but wouldn't let me have it). I thought for sure he would buy it, but no, he didn't see the point. Instead I got a diamond pendant and gold earrings that I didn't even want. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't complain about that kind of gift, but for what he spent, I could have had a toy machine and the real thing. I sometimes wonder if they ever really listen to what we say. I'd just like a surprise gift!! I never get surprises anymore. Sure sound like a spoiled kid, but I like to surprise all of them. Of course, they usually take what I buy and return it for something they want, but at least I get the fun of surprising them with something unexpected. Not even doing that this year, so I am in a real bummer mood. WhewA!! Lots of venting there!! Sorry.
Carol - PM me your address and you might get a little surprise!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
OMG! That sounds so like me!! I use to get nice surprises from hubby for Xmas, he loved buying me pretty clothes and nice jewelry. That was before I got too fat for the really sharp outfits he liked, and before I had more jewelry than I can ( or do) wear. Now he wants me to make a list of what I want, show pictures, tell him where to get it, etc. and he will go buy . The kids do me the same. I KNOW they are trying to please me, but I would much rather have a surprise to open. I guess it is the kid in me, but I like to be surprised once a year. Forty years ago all I really wanted was a new sewing machine that did something more than my FW. I hinted and hinted for that, for many years,told my daughter what kind I would really like to have( so she could tell him if he asked her), and I never did get that as a surprise . For him, it wasn't "fun" to shop for something like that, it would sound so dull when he told the "guys at work" what he was getting me. I finally used my own money and bought myself one! And now I've done the same again. When I was a kid, my sister had a Singer toy sewing machine, and of course I got to play with it as I grew up. Two years ago I saw a replica of that toy at Hancocks, told hubby I really would love to have one ( "WHY?"). Explained my reason for wanting it( sister didn't sew, but wouldn't let me have it). I thought for sure he would buy it, but no, he didn't see the point. Instead I got a diamond pendant and gold earrings that I didn't even want. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't complain about that kind of gift, but for what he spent, I could have had a toy machine and the real thing. I sometimes wonder if they ever really listen to what we say. I'd just like a surprise gift!! I never get surprises anymore. Sure sound like a spoiled kid, but I like to surprise all of them. Of course, they usually take what I buy and return it for something they want, but at least I get the fun of surprising them with something unexpected. Not even doing that this year, so I am in a real bummer mood. WhewA!! Lots of venting there!! Sorry.
Carol - PM me your address and you might get a little surprise
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 AM

although I am no longer married you can relate to the year I got a vacumm for Cjhristmas.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

We also need to be aware of what the other person might want and/or need.

If, for example, I'm thinking about making another quilt for someone - and I KNOW that they've either just put the other three away or abused them or didn't even acknowledge them - then I'm setting myself up for heartache - and the other person will not be thrilled with the gift - regardless of how much love and expense went into it.

This person might truly be happier with hay for his/her horses or a gift certificate for a motorcycle accessory - or even gift certificates to a fast food place. Or frozen pies, or cherry nut bread, or very favorite cookies.

And, perhaps, at some point in time, even a vacuum cleaner (but usually not from a significant other early in the relationship)