Please BEWARE

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info. IF I do get one of the nuisance calls (political, fund raising, sales), I say something to indicate interest and then ask if they can hold for just a second? Then I lay the phone down. Eventually they hang up, but I have deterred them from bothering someone else for maybe two minutes and really ticked them off! It is just a small delay in their day, but very satisfying on my end.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
Thanks for the info. IF I do get one of the nuisance calls (political, fund raising, sales), I say something to indicate interest and then ask if they can hold for just a second? Then I lay the phone down. Eventually they hang up, but I have deterred them from bothering someone else for maybe two minutes and really ticked them off! It is just a small delay in their day, but very satisfying on my end.
yes, but please remember this is someone's job. Be polite. It may be the only job they can get. If you are not interested, say No thanks and let them get on with their job.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
Might be a good idea to not say you're heading out, either. No need to let a stranger know, when you won't be at home.
NEVER tell any one you will not be home -this could be an invitation for a burglar and remember if they have your phone number they also have your address.JUST HANG UP on weird calls and keep yourself safe
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

When I get a call from obvious get the money people, no matter what the first question they ask is I always answer with Do you like to cook? I am selling cookbooks. Would you buy one? I need to sell them. I can have it in the mail to you today. What is your address? Give me your credit care number. No pause in between questions. Usually by then I get a fast disconnect. DH will vary his questions from selling hammers to fly swatters. Hysterical!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM

I had some guy call me one day and said he was a cop, that he'd had a report of a burglary and needed my address to check it out. I told him to call XXX number and ask for Sargeant McCall. If he was who he said he was the Sargeant would give him the address. The number was for the Dallas Police SWAT team.

I'm probably the only woman in the world who's had an obscene phone caller hang up on her. This guy called and kept telling me how good he could make me feel. I kept saying "No, you couldn't." Finally he asked why not. I replied "Any man who has to call strange women and talk nasty while playing pocket pool can't do himself any good, much less me." He said "Well!!!" and slammed down the phone.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM

What I have been told is that the scammers try a small purchase to see if it triggers a fraud response. If it doesn't, then they go on a spending spree. You are very lucky that your company picked up on it so quickly.
Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
Got a call from a fraud detection company on my debit card. I told them I wouldn't talk to them without first contacting my bank. They were legit. Seems someone was trying to "use" my debit card in Target in Napier, IL for $1.89 sale. I live in NH and had the card in my hands during the phone call. Glad to know fraud detection can work. My question...how did the thieves get "my" card (used it at a cash register) and why not try to buy something more than a candy bar??? LOL Worse part of all this was having to wait for a new card and PIN to be FedEx'd to me which took 5 days.

My last words of advice: DO NOT give out any information without checking with the original source, in my case the issuing bank. They verified that the fraud company was their's and I should feel comfortable giving them the info they needed.

Thanks for the warning on Microsoft scam.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Dee

I let the ans. machine take it and usually no message. I don't answer if there is no name or number or don't recognize the number. Too many scams out there. I had one the other day and the number was no such number. Never give out any information. You don't know who you're talking to.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 AM

I got that call yesterday! Said he was from Microsoft and that there was a problem with my computer. I told him he was full of it and he wasn't from Microsoft and hung up.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 AM

My mom was telling me she keeps getting calls from nasty soliciters saying she owes a creditor, it's been passedthrough multiple creditors and with the interestit is in excess of a grand. They won't say what the original charge was and demand immediate payment as 'today is the only day they are authorized to allow such a deal'. Uhhhh bull!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 AM

I've stopped answering the phone if I don't recognize the number. However, I've noticed a lot of the calls will say "cell phone" and then a number. My friends with cells look just the same way so I really need to know the number, not just the name. My friends, of course, will start to leave a message whereas the others don't.

Now, this isn't through the phone, but I got a "new" phishing email the other day. It claimed to originate with the Better Business Bureau as a complaint from a customer of mine. And there was a document attached that supposedly had the details of the complaint. Since I don't have a business I knew it wasn't legit but if you have some kind of small business - and I know many of you do - beware this new email scam.