Please help me understand

Old 06-13-2024, 07:04 AM

You won't be able to wrap you head around it, because it's what the Mom to be likes and thinks is appropriate, which is totally different from what you think
Old 06-13-2024, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
I have no idea why hunting is baby and sports is for toddlers. It is all in their thinking and obviously not ours.
Originally Posted by Onebyone
Of course we can't see any difference from one sport being age defined from baby to toddler but we aren't pregnant. LOL
Pretty much this! Lol. Now I'm curious and really want to you to go ask the mom and report back to us what she said! 😆
Old 06-13-2024, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Woodland animals and baby animals are the antithesis of hunting, I would think. And what does a baby know of hunting? Maybe she just meant nature and animals???

You can skip the whole debate by making something abstract and modern and cool, maybe with solids or tonals.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:08 AM

WMUTeach, Wow, I really love that first quilt, but I like the others also!

Like sewbizgirl said, I think I might just go with animals, and fashion a quilt after WMUTeach's quilt. The quilt may be for later, after the little guy grows a bit, maybe for his toddler room. He can still have animals in that room too. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-14-2024, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm stumped as well. A hunting theme for a baby's room doesn't compute in my noggin.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:47 AM

Well, it's not just me, then...I'm glad I'm not the only one that's not registering the notion. I just told my mom a few minutes ago that I'll give the little one some money for diapers or whatever at the baby shower, and give a quilt to him for his 1st or 2nd birthday. Who knows, he may not want another one if he's like his parents and grandparents (on both sides).....the Roll Tide quilt will be the only one he wants for life.

My 19-yr-old great-niece (my sister's granddaughter) still has her baby quilt that I've mended a lot over the years, and I've replaced the satin binding several times. I've even replaced the quilt with a new one. But it's not her original one, and she won't give up the original one. That shows me how much she loves that quilt....it was her "bibbit".
Old 06-15-2024, 04:21 AM

I would ask the mom if they are using camo in the room, or forest colors etc. A quilt with trees in the background and a large deer or fawn on the main body of the quilt.....if she is using camo in the room, then opt for a realistic deer. if no camo, then a cartoonish deer. This is a challenge....talk with the mom again.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:32 AM

I’ve made quilts designed as requested for a while. Then I decided to just make whatever I felt like. I figured that the design asked for would change in a short time. I want those quilts to be used beyond a year or two. Babies don’t care what is in the room. And they say not to use blankets in the cribs anyway.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:29 AM

cjsews, I've decided to just wait until the little one is a little older to give him a quilt for use. My brother will still give them the Roll Tide quilt I'm making for him to give, but it will probably end up as a wall hanging. I'm not particularly close to my niece, and when I ask my brother anything about his family, he says they don't tell him anything. Poor man, he's just along for the ride, I guess.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Interesting! I don't ask anymore about colors or decor. I make a quilt for a baby that looks fun. I enclose the note of "already been washed and dried, doesn't require any special care, please use for tummy time or in the park and if it wears out I will make another". So far this has been well received and the quilts gets used somewhat as far as I know. As my grands got older they asked for specific ones, which of course I made and they enjoyed until they were over that particular thing. But still have the quilts in the closets.