Please help me understand

Old 06-13-2024, 03:30 AM

Default Please help me understand

My youngest brother is going to be a first-time grandfather in November, and they found out it will be a boy. His son-in-law is very much into hunting, fishing, golfing, and baseball. He stays busy when he's not working. My niece is heavily into softball also, and they met on a ballfield. Anyway, what I need to understand is that my niece told me that they're thinking of making the nursery a "hunting" theme. I said I had thought of that, or golfing or baseball themes. She told me that the golfing or ball themes are more for a toddler's room.
I wanted to make a baby quilt for the little guy to match whatever theme the room was going to be, but being in Alabama, my brother has requested that I make a quilt with the "Roll Tide" colors (gray and red, with an elephant). So I'm working on that for him to give the new parents-to-be.

Back to my question....why is a hunting theme more of a baby's room, and golfing or baseball more of a toddler's room? My mind just cannot grasp this concept.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:59 AM

I have a nephew and his wife that are hunters and their nursery was and is, baby #3 this spring, hunting or woodsy. I made quilts for all three that were woodland animal themed. There are many fabrics with charming animals, not cartoon animals but animals that seemed to fit the theme and please the parents.

For my two cents ask the mom and dad to explain what they mean by hunting. Is it Elmer Fudd or baby animals, or trees and campfires and tents? Pick their brains as to what they mean by "hunting" and love and grace make them YOUR beautiful version to compliment their desire for "hunting". I have no idea why hunting is baby and sports is for toddlers. It is all in their thinking and obviously not ours.

Here are photos of my quilts for my hunting family: animal moms and babies, Nut Brown Hare and Woodland Noah's Ark. Not traditional sweet light pastel fabrics but still "baby".
Attached Thumbnails 2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler.jpg   2020-10-15-john-andrew-keeler-close-up-1.jpg   2022-5-16-louise-opal-keeler-reized.jpg   2024-04-22.jpg  
Old 06-13-2024, 04:00 AM

I'm with you on that one DebbieJJ, I have never heard of that concept before. I'm sure you will come up with a wonderful quilt.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:03 AM

When I read your post the first thing that popped into my head was, a hunting room is okay for a baby’s room but golf and baseball is more toddler was a big No. Not in my mind anyway. And do they think this child is going to stay a baby for very long? They grow so fast and quickly have opinions of their own. LOL. Personally, when I make a baby quilt, I don’t ask what the decor is going to be. That is mom and dad’s choice, I make a quilt for the child and they, or I, have any idea what he/she may like. I also wash before gifting with a note that says to please use. That it’s not an heirloom and that I will make them another when they are old enough to help choose what they want. My granddaughter didn’t want her big girl quilt until she was ten because she loved her little girl quilt so much.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:06 AM

I'm not so sure I understand either, but my first thought is camo...

"Baby Camo" brings up a lot as a google search, doing it on Amazon helps.

Whatever the theme, the Roll Tide quilt will be great as will another baby in the family. Grats to all!
Old 06-13-2024, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

It's all in the mom's head whatever she feels is right for the baby's room. Of course we can't see any difference from one sport being age defined from baby to toddler but we aren't pregnant. LOL
Old 06-13-2024, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I think I would want them to show me examples of what they mean by "hunting".

My first thought for "hunting" is killing animals by guns, arrows, spears, or trapping.

Although I do use the term "hunting" when I am gointg to quilt shops and garage/yard sales or looking for something paraticular.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
It's all in the mom's head whatever she feels is right for the baby's room. Of course we can't see any difference from one sport being age defined from baby to toddler but we aren't pregnant. LOL
That is so true!! I'd just make the Roll Tide quilt now and then make another one later.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:48 AM

She would be thrilled with Roll Tide camo fabric. Hunting does seem a little off for a baby but maybe she is thinking long term and not wanting to change the room as their son grows. A much better idea than the pale grey/pale yellow rooms of a few years ago. Babies love contrast.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:25 AM

ha! to me, a hunter's room is for a hunter only!