Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon! >
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon!

• Possibly moving back to Oregon!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by I wonder
    It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
    remember, if seems to good to be true it probably is...check out what the taxes are in OR!
    Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM

How exciting! I have a son in Portland - he absolutely loves it there.
    Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM

We love Oregon and hope to relocate there once hubby retires. Oregon is so beautiful. Lucky you!!!
    Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Taxes, we live in Illinois! LOL yes, much cheaper than what we have been paying that's one big reason we are leaving here! We left Oregon just about 12 years ago and I guess we have gone full circle and going home now.
    Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
    remember, if seems to good to be true it probably is...check out what the taxes are in OR!
    But no sales tax!!
    Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM

enjoy.
    Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
    But no sales tax!!
    True , there is no sales tax, but the state does get their money. At our income bracket we pay 12% state and 15% federal. Our property taxes aren't bad here in the boonies. But in the actual town of La Pine they get socked with a lot of "hidden" or really dumb taxes to boot.
    And if you fall behind on your state taxes here, the interest penalty is 100% of the taxes owed. So if you are behind, lets say 20 grand......your penalty is 20 grand plus anything else they wanna add on.
    Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM

I would move back to Washington St. in a heart beat if the opportunity arrose. Good luck!
    Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Originally Posted by Kitsie
    But no sales tax!!
    True , there is no sales tax, but the state does get their money. At our income bracket we pay 12% state and 15% federal. Our property taxes aren't bad here in the boonies. But in the actual town of La Pine they get socked with a lot of "hidden" or really dumb taxes to boot.
    And if you fall behind on your state taxes here, the interest penalty is 100% of the taxes owed. So if you are behind, lets say 20 grand......your penalty is 20 grand plus anything else they wanna add on.
    Yes, actually I lived there for many years and you are quite right. Still a very beautiful corner of America.
    Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Have a 'Sparkling Day' in Central Oregon!

That is what the Weatherman(on TV) says every day. I would love to live there and here in Pennsylvania. Can't afford two houses.

Edited to add: Do we really want the whole world to know how beautiful Central Oregon is?