Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon! >
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon!

• Possibly moving back to Oregon!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by I wonder
    It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
    remember, if seems to good to be true it probably is...check out what the taxes are in OR!
    We don't have a sales tax in Oregon. Our property taxes are not real high either. Unfortunately we are 3rd in the nation for high state income tax.
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM

It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
    LaPine is great and if you can manage to get that property there go for it.

If I could find phsicians without too much trouble I'd move to Washington state in a heart beat....It's way cheaper to live there than here in Oregon now. Sure, Washington has their sales tax but Oregon taxes everything else plus some and it's getting worse by the week.
    We lived in Woodridge, Illinois for 9 years before moving here in the mid '70's. So I know what you're leaving.
    Worked in McCook when I first moved there and stayed in LaGrange, Ill. Had both boys at Hinsdale..nice community.
    But Illinois in general is a "nice place to fly over" for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Oh, Oregon and Washington are just HORRIBLE!!! You'd HATE it here! Rain rain rain rain rain, cold and wet, I think everyone would be better off staying where they are instead of moving to the Pacific NW. :wink: :lol:
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 PM

I grew up in the Willamette Valley and have lived all but 7 years of my life here in Oregon. Those seven years I was gone was when I was active duty Air Force. I now live in Oregon City. I grew up in Mt Angel. When I got out of the USAF, I moved back here and to be honest, I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. I love it here in Oregon.
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by gramabear
    I have friends that retired there. Cant figure out why? I am not a fan of central Oregon. We are in the Oregon City area and go south for the winter,cant stand the dark & rainy days. Wish I was ther now,rain rain rain..........
    Roma
    I live in Oregon City, too. Moved up here from Mt. Angel 20+ years ago.
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 AM

I grew up in Oregon. We are now retired to and have lived in Wa for the past 20 + years. Yes we have sales tax's here but no income tax's and our property taxes are 1/2 what they was in Oregon. And we have found even with the tax's some thing are less witht hte tax's than in Oregon and I like to pump my own fuel and you can't do tht in Oregon either. Lot's of thisgs to weigh out... I do not like months of snow so would never live over in that are but I have family over there. We lived in Springfield and my folks out in Coburg for 20 + years and have family in ht eLebanon area. Whatever you do will be better than where you are. I haven't ever been there but our son was for a few months and he hated it.
    Best wishes.
    ConnieF
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
    I grew up in Oregon. We are now retired to and have lived in Wa for the past 20 + years. Yes we have sales tax's here but no income tax's and our property taxes are 1/2 what they was in Oregon. And we have found even with the tax's some thing are less witht hte tax's than in Oregon and I like to pump my own fuel and you can't do tht in Oregon either. Lot's of thisgs to weigh out... I do not like months of snow so would never live over in that are but I have family over there. We lived in Springfield and my folks out in Coburg for 20 + years and have family in ht eLebanon area. Whatever you do will be better than where you are. I haven't ever been there but our son was for a few months and he hated it.
    Best wishes.
    ConnieF
    Hi Connie, yes you are right about all of this. I lived in N. Central Washington for a few years and I liked it better there than in the Central Oregon area where we lived for 12 years. Both areas are similar in climate so if I had to choose one over the other it would be Central Washington or Spokane area. I like the dryness better than all the rain that is on the west side of the Cascade mountain range. In fact we have been talking about moving from Alaska to the Wenatchee or Spokane areas. Yes these areas do get snow but it is not much and it does not last long at all. Especially not as long as it does here in Alaska. :)
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

From your new neighbor in Oregon, Welcome Home! :thumbup:
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I live in Bend, about 30 miles from LaPine and if you do move to Central Oregon, you will love it. Yes the property taxes can be higher than some other places but the no sales tax balances a bit of that. Depends on what your priorities are and what you like to do, beautiful mountains, abundant lakes and rivers, lots of wildlife to see and wonderful blue sky. The Weatherman, Bob Shaw, on the local channel does say "Have a sparkling day in Central Oregon" and he is right. I belong to the same small quilt group as MHansen and if you move to our area, give us a holler.
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM

If you do decide to move to La Pine there are some of us on the board that live here! And we are close to Bend, and as mhansen6 said, some of us get together once a month and have a great time. Also a couple of us do a monthly meet/class in Silver Lake, about an hour away and it is a hoot! We would be happy to hear from you and welcome you to the area! Snow and cold in the winter just mean more time for sewing and quilting!