Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon! >
  • Possibly moving back to Oregon!

• Possibly moving back to Oregon!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Thank you all! We are getting excited about our trip! We leave in about two weeks! After living here in Chicago-land with tornado watches and heavy snow fall we welcome going back to Oregon ASAP! LOL
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 PM

I will post what we have decided when we get back, but I am 99% sure it's a go! :thumbup:
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM

jaciqltznok is right, Oregon does have higher property taxes since they have no sales tax, although I'm sure that you're aware of that, since you have lived there before, but I would still check out how much they would be for that property. My opinion.

Congratulations on your upcoming move!
    Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 AM

Yes, already check out the taxes. We live in Illinois and it's beyond belief what we pay here on taxes currently. Moving closer to most of our families and trying to find some peace of mind. Our daughters sweetheart is giving us such a good deal I feel almost guilty! LOL
    Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

There is a fantastic quilt shop in LaPine, and you're just a hop, skip and jump away from Bend where there are several amazing shops!
    Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Well, we are moving to LaPine next year! Hurray! It is more then we had hoped for! A beautiful modest home (easy to keep clean) nothing to do inside, but lots of landscaping outside, but nothing we can't handle ourselves. We are so excited for our next chapter of our lives to begin! So much to do now to make this happen, it's called downsizing! It's time!
    Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by I wonder
    Well, we are moving to LaPine next year! Hurray! It is more then we had hoped for! A beautiful modest home (easy to keep clean) nothing to do inside, but lots of landscaping outside, but nothing we can't handle ourselves. We are so excited for our next chapter of our lives to begin! So much to do now to make this happen, it's called downsizing! It's time!
    Wow!! How wonderful!!

Your gonna love it....no traffic here and only 2 stop lights!!
    Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 AM

I know! We are so looking forward to some downtime after living in Chicago-land! We just love the area,
    Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    I'm one of the "Hate it Here people". There are beautiful parts of Central Oregon...but there's some butt-ugly parts too. (Have NO respect for the junipers that turn me and many I know upside down every spring with allergies, AND I think they're ugly!!)
    There are no sales taxes, but you pay through the nose for everything else because the business taxes are outrageous causing business owners to raise their prices, and the income taxes are high. Central and Eastern Oregon are outvoted in ANYTHING by Portland...example, last election for govenor, a Republican was winning all day by a goodly amount, until they counted the Multnomah county votes...Portland won again. Works that way with bond issues that benefit the Portland area but do nothing for Central or Eastern Oregon. Property taxes are also high in Central OR. Right now, with the economy in the tank, properties are selling very low...but they get you with the taxes...

Then again...this area has a fairly low crime rate, you have lots of outdoor activites in skiing, hunting, fishing, camping...you're close to the Sisters Quilt show, and 3-4 hours away from shopping in Portland...The Three Sisters (mountains) are really pretty, (but watch that second one, she's an active volcano! ;) )

I know there are downsides no matter where you live, it's just a question of what bothers you the most. Me? I'd be happier nearly ANYWHERE but here... :lol:
    Pretty much what I was going to say.
    We tried to buy a second home in LaPine about 8 years ago, but everytime we put an offer on a place the speculators from CA would out offer us. Since then we have explored more areas over there and are now looking more toward Prineville, Terrabonne, maybe outskirts of Redmond area. It will just depend when husband can retire.
    But yes, most decisions in this state that apply to everyone are made by those who usally are not going to be the ones affected the most, three counties in the NW corner of the state. We had a great guy running for govenor this year and he was winning, but the votes of three counties kept him out. Instead we are stuck with a retread govenor who did nothing but make a mess of this state the first two terms he served over 8 years ago.
    I love Central Oregon though and as soom as I can i'm there permenately, even if I have to rent.
    Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by I wonder
    It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
    I just saw this!! I'm EXCITED! I live in LaPine! And sadly, yes, homes are so low in price it's pathetic. Now is the time to buy! I'm PMing you some advice.... Can't wait till you get here -- you'll have a quilting friend!!!! (oh, and we have a group of us --- we're waiting for you!)