Postal Service Changes

Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 AM

The post office is cutting off their nose to spite their face. If they would have worked on some of the spending for benefits etc. and had employees pitch in on some of that, they may not have had to raise the postal rates so high. Then businesses would not have cut back on their advertising mail which pays for a LOT at the P.O.
If they start this business of people not getting their mail on time to pay their bills promptly it will only force more people online to pay.
Personally, I find that over 40 cents per envelope is ridiculous to pay when I can pay a bill online for free.
I have some very good friends in the P.O. that I am feeling sorry for, but I don't feel sorry for the postal system itself. It brought this on.
Thanks for letting me vent about this.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I find it hard to believe that with all the online shopping the post office is having problems. I know that we pay bills online etc but what about all the packages being sent all over?? Yes, there are other sources but they still get a lot of that business.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 AM

The sorting center here is gone too. Now if you mail something here to be delivered here it will get a "free" trip to Nashville. With the price of fuel today how in the world does THAT save $$$

Yep - way too top heavy and don't get me started on unions!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what ssgramma said!!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 AM

Here in our small town when you use to mail a letter to someone in this town the postal employees would put the letter in the person's box at the post office or the rural carrier would deliver it on the route to their mailbox. Now everything has to go to Oklahoma City and come back to our town to then be put in the post office box or rural mail box. One month our gas bills were 5 days late because of this effienceny(?). Now does this sound like saving money, not to me.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Write your congressman
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 AM

I worked at the post office and we did have to pitch in for our retirement. we paid for health insurance and had to put in a certain percentage in for our retirement. Then we get social security as everyone else does. Also 40 some cents for a stamp is pretty cheap when you think it can go from east to west coast.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 AM

We live in a very small rural community. We moved here from a large city where all of our bills were paid on line. We have 5 bills locally that can't be paid on line. I guess they might have to step up to the plate and actually come screaming and kicking into the 20th century and convert to online payment. Now our bank who used to offer online payment of bills for free is instituting a fee for that service. I guess they are going to get us one way or another. No loss to me except if I don't get the 5 bills and all the junk mail I won't get any mail. Ann in TN
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 AM

Our processing center at our post office is probably closing in Bluefield, as well. If the processing part GOES, not sure where the people will have a post office in our town!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 AM

All this being said, if the federal gov. hasn't been able to run the postal sector of our country, do I really want them in charge of my health-care decisions? No...