Price of hamburger

Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM

They say most corn is now used for ethanol fuel, not for food.....so anything using corn as an ingred will go way up in price.
It's not just beef.Seafood,produce,non edibles like paper towels etc....Have you noticed the price of all groceries lately? The store mngr where I deal says it will go much higher before it levels off.

Originally Posted by raedar63
Corn prices may be the culprit?
The expense to plant corn has skyrocketed the past few years, we as small farmers could not even afford to plant it. We will plant corn this year for the first time in about 4 years and only to give the soil a break . (Soil likes and needs rotation)
Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 AM

Bad thing is everything is going up!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 AM

Most of the grocery stores now advertise Black Angus meat and they have hiked the price up on that. We are planning on getting a side of beef soon and one beef we do not buy is Black Angus. It is too lean, not enough flavor. We usually get a Black Angus/ Hereford cross and that has just about the best comb of marbling and meat. We buy family packs at 3# or more and then I divide it. I think Black Angus sounds like a status symbol and they hike the price up on that and more and more I have found that that is all the stores sell. So I try to find some stores that sell the 80/20, 75/25. 75/25 makes a perfect meat loaf, sloppy joes, SOS, or hamburger soup, 80/20 makes a perfect hamburger. I try not to buy straight Black Angus mainly because of the dryness and taste and the regular hamburger has great flavor at about 1/3 the price. Even at McDonald's or Burger King, I do not order Black Angus meat. But meat around here ranges around - ground chuck 80% is $2.49 in packages of #3 or more. So that isn't too bad. Well, it is when you consider 30 years ago we were paying 85 cents a pound for hamburger. Tomorrow night I am fixing corned beef and cabbage and I got that for $1.88#, so you basically check your Sunday flier and get what is on sale and stock up on the family packs (that goes for chicken too)!

We are having the tail end of a turkey breast tonight! Had roast on Sunday, sandwiches the rest of the meals and today I am going to cut off the rest of the meat, make sandwiches and the rest goes into a nice tub for soup. Now that is a good supper. Turkey Rice soup and turkey sandwiches. Our grocery store - Roundy's, has a meal deal, which is a good thing. This week it is a #3 family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $2.99 #. and then you get a #3 bag of onions, #1 carrots and 8oz of whole white mushrooms. FREE!!!!! Sometimes they have pot roasts and you get potatoes, carrots and onions, or pork roast and you get potatoes, vegetables and maybe applesauce FREE. That is our good deal. So this week I will get a package of chicken breasts, clean and cut up and blanch the carrots, (we love glazed carrot medallions) put the mushrooms in a salad and use the onions for whatever. So it saves a lot down the road. We are on a fixed income and so I watch very carefully the prices of meat and vegetables and especially the fruit. Luckily we have been able to get the best darned muskmelon for $2.50 each and they have been absolutely sweet and juicy. Usually in the winter they are dry and no taste.

We have to watch our pennies, nickels and dimes and I won't buy something that is so obviously high priced because it is said that it is good for us or something. You have to use common sense (which hasn't been very prevalent lately, I have noticed) when you buy food, be it hamburger or pork chops. Here is a good one. Did you know that Hormel Always Tender pork chops or steaks or roasts are also labeled with Roundy's name? Found that out last week. Same pork, same Hormel's down in Austin, Minnesota, very much difference in price. So perhaps in your area your generic meat is actually from a top brand outfit. Check with your butcher on that! Edie
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 AM

Didn't they - they being the government - try this stupid Ethanol in the gas shtick back in the early 80's? It didn't work then, it isn't going to work now. The same result that we are seeing now is what happened then, reduced mileage and increased engine wear, and skyrocketing commodities prices.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting a different result.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I am hoping at least one of the kids gets a deer this year, will get lots of burger made.
My hubby got 4 deer this year, gave one to a friend that has cancer and is unable to hunt his own. He has a friend that processes the meat for us, we grind most of it into ground meat, some steaks and summer sausage. I don't eat that much red meat, I prefer chicken, fish and turkey.
We also grow our own veggies and can/freeze them. We are planting a bigger than usual garden this year and just hope we can keep 'critters' out of it.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Banned

I am really lucky. I know someone who works at the packing plant and I can get hamburger for $1 per pound.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
About the same here in MA. I look in the frozen section. There is a section where they put "about to expire" meat. It's discounted and it's just fine. You just have to use it within a day or so of defrosting. If I have company, I do buy fresh though.
We only buy the "manager's specials, which is the same thing. There is nothing wrong with that meat, and it's perfectly good for company, too! LOL.. Well, if there is a really good sale on something, we might buy that also.
We have one of those vacuum sealer things and it really keeps food fresh. So we repackage down to 2 serving when we get a really good deal and that keeps it good till we use it.
We also use the the food sealer. It is a wonderful invention. Really keeps the meat fresh. Highlyrecommend.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 AM

I think the hard winter has a lot to do with all our food prices. Many crops were lost in Fl and other places that do not normally get such cold weather and the cold was intense everywhere else. Of course the cost of oil does not help for transporting meat and veggies either.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

I buy bottom round roast on sale and grind my own.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

Yesterday I just bought hamburger to make a hot dish and I paid 2.99 a pound. It was angus burger.