Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Weigh In" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%22weigh-%22-t34791.html)

Charlee 02-13-2010 08:20 AM

To my way of thinking...when we diet restrictively, with no allowance for "goodies", we are punishing ourselves for getting fat. I can't think of one person in my life that would put up with someone else punishing us for a week straight, let alone for months or even years...why would we do it to ourselves? We shouldn't.
That serving size bag of M&Ms is ok. Three of them is not.

When we stop thinking of it as losing weight, and start thinking of it as giving our bodies what they need and being healthy, the weight loss comes along for the ride... :)

Charlee 02-13-2010 08:21 AM

Karla, your treat sounds perfect to me...except that after spending the day with a bunch of 10 year olds, I'd be for adding some rum to that ice cream float!! :lol:

laparshall 02-13-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
To my way of thinking...when we diet restrictively, with no allowance for "goodies", we are punishing ourselves for getting fat. I can't think of one person in my life that would put up with someone else punishing us for a week straight, let alone for months or even years...why would we do it to ourselves? We shouldn't.
That serving size bag of M&Ms is ok. Three of them is not.

When we stop thinking of it as losing weight, and start thinking of it as giving our bodies what they need and being healthy, the weight loss comes along for the ride... :)

Charlee: Very well put. You make great points.
There is no reason not to enjoy a treat. This is the reason I love WW because I can eat whatever I want. I do have to keep track of the point values, but I save points for ice cream, cookies, birthday cake, candy, even my favorite: potato chips. Sometimes I go over my points for the day by many points, but I don't deprive myself of sweets and I try not to over indulge. We all have bad days, but the trick is to not beat ourselves up over it and keep on going. So for those of you who have had bad days. Pat yourselves on the back, accept encouragement from the rest of us, and just keep on going. Keep checking in with the rest of us, what you may not realize is that we need each of you as much as you need us.

laparshall 02-13-2010 09:37 AM

I think rum, after a day with 10 year olds, loses its calories too.

Rose Hall 02-13-2010 10:16 AM

I have an exercise question. Besides walking on the treadmill this morning I cleaned my house. Being 6 1/2 mo. pregnant, does that count as exercise too??? Bending over scrubbing the "&*^%" out of my bathtub left me breathless--I have 3 bathrooms. I also swept and mopped my entire upstairs (I have wood and stone floors). I hoping I can count 2 exercise sessions for the day--my goal is 4-5 times a week and that would put me at 4 exercise sessions for the week.

thanks for you input and everyone keep up the great work!!

Rose Hall

Lneal 02-13-2010 11:08 AM

I just checked it out and you can burn 314 cal an hour for housework!!

Gwyn 02-13-2010 11:15 AM

I would like to join this. I'm diabetic and having a huge problems stablizing my sugars. My doctor says to eat 15 grams of carbs every 2 hours when I'm awake. My frustration is that I forget and miss. Then, when the next feeding comes around, I'm ready to eat the wallpaper. I have 125 to lose so I need lots of help. Even my body is working against me.

How many calories do we burn sewing and watch the Olympics?

Gwyn 02-13-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I have an exercise question. Besides walking on the treadmill this morning I cleaned my house. Being 6 1/2 mo. pregnant, does that count as exercise too??? Bending over scrubbing the "&*^%" out of my bathtub left me breathless--I have 3 bathrooms. I also swept and mopped my entire upstairs (I have wood and stone floors). I hoping I can count 2 exercise sessions for the day--my goal is 4-5 times a week and that would put me at 4 exercise sessions for the week.

thanks for you input and everyone keep up the great work!!

Rose Hall

When I was expecting getting out of bed counted as exercise!

BrendaB 02-13-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Your welcome ranger.

Quilt Mom & LovingIzabella my day was not so good yesterday, but I'm back on today. One day shouldn't hurt us.

I bought a heart monitor so I could be sure I was getting the most benefit out of my exercise. (Gotta burn those calories!) I exercise on a mini trampoline. I started out with some slight movements for 10 min to keep my heart rate elevated. Well I must say after about 4 weeks, and now doing 20 min, I have had to jump, move my arms and bounce a lot higher to keep my heart rate elevated. I am so thrilled with my improvement because I know I'm getting in shape!! Oh I still have 30 lbs to go but I am seeing an increase in energy and feeling better. Thanks everyone for all your support!!

What a great report! This is a great reminder that we want to lose weight and gain strength, endurance, get healthier, and feel better. I just realized that I have been thinking about exercise only in terms of losing the pounds. Thank you once again. I had a really bad week or 3 days; it's all a blur now, but am back on track now and starting the point system for WW.

I appreciate everyone sharing the good days and the bad. I have felt like I was a total failure. Today, I'm gonna put that all behind and start over. :-) I have got to get this body moving!

carolevidak 02-13-2010 11:37 AM

Last night I met friends for dinner at a bar-b-que place. Nothing light on the menu and all the salads were heavy on the points. I settle for a few slices of turkey and asparagus. I wighed myself this morning and I had lost 8 more ozs. But let me tell you that was the worse meal I have ever had. LOL No taste at all. I would have much stayed home and had a smart One - Turkey dinner. LOL But the company was wonderful. But I went out to dinner and stayed on my diet!!!