Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Weigh In" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/%22weigh-%22-t34791.html)

BrendaB 02-13-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
That's an interesting way to go Charlee - three guilt-free meals per week. I hadn't heard of that strategy before.

I'm supposed to weigh in today but I'm not going to get on the scale. It began as a very bad food week and I checked in on Weds. to confess. I felt terrible. Got some great encouragement from you ladies. Thank you so much!! Well, Thursday didn't get much better. So I had to answer the question, "Why do I self-sabotage?" What I realized is that I just need a break. Plain and simple. I need a break from scrutinizing everything I eat and drink. I also need a break from getting on the scale everyday, morning and night. So I gave myself the liberty of a guilt-free week. I'm guessing I've put back on a couple of pounds, but getting on the scale today to confirm that would defeat the purpose of going guilt-free. I don't want to lead anyone else astray. I just know this is the right way for me to go.

So here is where I start today: refreshed and relaxed, begin a food diary, resume daily exercise, and in 6 weeks take another week of R&R. I'll weigh myself only on Saturday mornings.

I think having a guilt-free week on the horizon will keep me motivated to not have sabotage days every few weeks. I can then extend the length of time and shorten the duration of the next guilt-free week (ie. 7 weeks out, 6 guilt-free days).

As for this morning, I feel fantastic. Rested, relaxed, re-energized, and rarin'to go! This is the best gift I've given myself in a long time. 25 lbs. here I come!!

That's the spirit. :thumbup: You described a lot of my feelings this week. Thanks for not letting me think I was all alone. :oops:

BrendaB 02-13-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
Well, I weighed in today. I only lost 1.2 pounds, which seems so piddly compared with how far I have to go. I was a good girl this week, journalled, excercised 5/7 days (sometimes twice a day) and drank lots of water.

Why does it have to be so slow and arduous?

While I can't answer that question, I will be happy to the the happy dance with you for 1.2 pounds. That's great!! Give yourself some well-deserved credit. :-)

BrendaB 02-13-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Here's what I've been doing. After teaching 10 year olds all day, I crave ice cream after I'm home--after chores--even in winter. So, although I'm not a soda drinker--I'll pour a large glass of diet root beer and put in half a cup of 2-3 pt ice cream to soften the bubbles and make it taste like a float. Yes--it's calories, but not nearly as many as a huge bowl of ice cream.

Great tip. Every change we make will make a difference. I think I can live with 1/2 cup of ice cream, but not without any ice cream at all. I think the float would feel more indulgent than it really is with the diet root beer.

BrendaB 02-13-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
To my way of thinking...when we diet restrictively, with no allowance for "goodies", we are punishing ourselves for getting fat. I can't think of one person in my life that would put up with someone else punishing us for a week straight, let alone for months or even years...why would we do it to ourselves? We shouldn't.
That serving size bag of M&Ms is ok. Three of them is not.

When we stop thinking of it as losing weight, and start thinking of it as giving our bodies what they need and being healthy, the weight loss comes along for the ride... :)

Thank you for this nugget of wisdom. :-) I like your perspective.

BrendaB 02-13-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I would like to join this. I'm diabetic and having a huge problems stablizing my sugars. My doctor says to eat 15 grams of carbs every 2 hours when I'm awake. My frustration is that I forget and miss. Then, when the next feeding comes around, I'm ready to eat the wallpaper. I have 125 to lose so I need lots of help. Even my body is working against me.

How many calories do we burn sewing and watch the Olympics?

Gwyn, can you set a timer for every 2 hours? That is something I would have to do, otherwise I would forget also. I'm going to check and see if there is a timer for the computer. Get back to you soon. :-)

Charlee 02-13-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by carolevidak
Last night I met friends for dinner at a bar-b-que place. Nothing light on the menu and all the salads were heavy on the points. I settle for a few slices of turkey and asparagus. I wighed myself this morning and I had lost 8 more ozs. But let me tell you that was the worse meal I have ever had. LOL No taste at all. I would have much stayed home and had a smart One - Turkey dinner. LOL But the company was wonderful. But I went out to dinner and stayed on my diet!!!

{{{{APPLAUSE}}}} Feels good? :)

laparshall 02-13-2010 12:57 PM

Welcome Gwyn. Happy to have you. We are all learning so much about each others medical issues and how losing weight, eating healthy and moving around will make such a big difference. I sure hope you will be inspired to making some real changes on your journey to get healthier.

Carole--Boy it isn't easy to go to such a great smelling place and eat what you did. You have really comitted to your plan. I can't go near a bar-b-que place, pizza place either. Congrats to you for making the healthy choice.

Lneal--how many calories if I watch DH clean? Wow, that sounds like a fun routine you have going. And the more you do the easier it gets. Have you tried adding weights to your ankles? Or holding weights? My Wii Fit always suggests that if it isn't challenging enough that I can add weights. I haven't needed to yet, but eventually. . .

Charlee 02-13-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I would like to join this. I'm diabetic and having a huge problems stablizing my sugars. My doctor says to eat 15 grams of carbs every 2 hours when I'm awake. My frustration is that I forget and miss. Then, when the next feeding comes around, I'm ready to eat the wallpaper. I have 125 to lose so I need lots of help. Even my body is working against me.

How many calories do we burn sewing and watch the Olympics?

Miz Gwyn! So glad you're joining us!
Have you tried wearing blouses with pockets that you can tuck a snack into?
The other thing I would try is making sure that you eat breakfast, but make it a small one that will no way keep you going until lunchtime. Then do the same thing at lunch... Maybe do a daily menu?
To start with, at least, you're going to have to keep it at the upper part of your mind...especially if you forget to eat! In other words, become obcessive about food and eating...

As for how many calories you burn sewing and watching the Olympics....are you getting up to go iron and jumping up to cheer on your favorites? :lol:

Charlee 02-13-2010 01:15 PM

Oops! double post! :oops:

Mrs. Mel 02-13-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaB

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
Well, I weighed in today. I only lost 1.2 pounds, which seems so piddly compared with how far I have to go. I was a good girl this week, journalled, excercised 5/7 days (sometimes twice a day) and drank lots of water.

Why does it have to be so slow and arduous?

While I can't answer that question, I will be happy to the the happy dance with you for 1.2 pounds. That's great!! Give yourself some well-deserved credit. :-)

Thanks Brenda.

;-)