Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone remember the junk bowl? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-remember-junk-bowl-t127999.html)

bjnicholson 06-05-2011 03:35 PM

Ha! My son has a "junk bowl" all over the darned house :roll: Lord knows I've tried to contain him to a "bowl" but it's a losing battle.

In answer to your original question, yes we had junk bowl. And, you know? We didn't lose so many things because stuff that wasn't attached was tossed in the bowl! So we knew where to look for it.

KLO 06-05-2011 03:41 PM

I was born in 47 also and although I don't have a junk bowl, I do have the junk drawer. But that is the place to find all the do-dads that you need, isn't it?

scrappy happy 06-05-2011 03:41 PM

i would think being your gs likes to here of the old days that u should start a junk bowl for him. you could put some gum in there and some colors and pencils for him and maybe a few other things. than u could tell him the story lol

charlotte37830 06-05-2011 03:55 PM

We had one when I was little. It was a green, oval shaped glass bowl that sat on my Mom's dresser. I now have it and it is always displayed in some place in the house that it can always be seen. Guess what we keep in it? Yep! You uessed it: junk!!! It always make me smile when I see it.

Navy Wife 06-05-2011 06:14 PM

We had a beauiful pitcher for a junk bowl. When I grew up I found out it was Canival Glass and worth about $500! It is still on display in my cabinet, behind glass!

Greenheron 06-05-2011 08:00 PM

Another 1947 baby here. We HAVE a junk bowl, a junk crock, a junk drawer, a hidden junk cupboard under the stairs, a junk shed, junk garage and DH's various collections. Of course, my sewing stuff is not junk.

We did not have a junk bowl/drawer when I was a child. Mother fought clutter and junk with as much determination as she fought dirt, dust and the heavy soot from steam engines. BUT our home was a duplex and as clothing was outgrown it was stored in the empty half until someone grew into it. Toys, ditto. Textbooks, too. Grandmother's 'donations'. Relics from Dad's digging expeditions and his tools landed in the duplex. Eventually we had a junk 1/2 house. LOL And now people rent storage units for junk. Go figure.

sisLH 06-05-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Ruthie
Ours was wooden and worn with a big split down the side...I remember alot from the "old days". I was born in '57. That was before mascara came in tubes. My Dad use to fix the TV all by himself with a mirror on the floor and pliers and those cool looking tubes. LOLOL!!!!!!!

Thanks. I had forgotten about that mirror thing. I was born in 1950 and remember when we got our first tv -a portable at Xmas. My brothers didn't want to open the gift because it was wrapped in a blanket box. Boy were they wanting it after I opened it up!

Quilter2B 06-05-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I do that with baskets.

Me Too, many of them - he he he

busygranny 06-05-2011 10:09 PM

All I have to do is sit out a trinket of any kind and my husband uses it for a junk bowl. Every so often, I just have to empty them or they would be over flowing. And I am in the process of eliminating all this clutter in my house. It has to go. I feel trapped in my own house by all the stuff that I thought I had to have over the years. And stuff my kids would buy me and I didn't want to hurt their feelings so just accepted everything with a smile and a hug but finally I had to tell them "No more" Going to take me a while but I will get thru it.

nellie 06-05-2011 10:13 PM

we had a old fish bowl for our junk in the kitchen