Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone streaming TV from their PC? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-streaming-tv-their-pc-t207322.html)

Stitchit123 12-01-2012 11:13 AM

I watch Netflix -Hulu free- and I go fox.com for Bones and CBS.com for NCIS the day after they broadcast and I can bring it up on computer shrink it and send it to the big TV with my mouse--but I still have basic cable and internet for $57 mo.and Vonage phone for $12 Cable bundle was $136.I have had Vonage for the last 6 yrs and love it-all my long distance calls are included. My son is after me to get rid of the cable completely and I'm almost convinced.

annthreecats 12-01-2012 11:22 AM

I'm going to start as soon as I get my new T.V. in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to get a roku box, though. I haven't had cable for over 5 years. Cable wasn't available when I moved into my house, so I got rabbit ears, then I had to get a converter box to switch the signal to digital, now my converter box is dead, so I need a new t.v. Yeah, technology is sometimes more expensive and more trouble.

roserips 12-01-2012 01:21 PM

I have netflix and love it, no commercials can watch what I want when I want. We run through our Wii and it is great. Added Hulu plus it works fine on the lap top but I don't like it on the Wii everything is so dark and hard to see. Just my opinion I like Netflix best.

EllieGirl 12-01-2012 02:48 PM

What about sports? My husband & I both enjoy watching college sports a lot. That is our main source of entertainment.

brendaj8689 12-01-2012 04:28 PM

I REALLY MISS CABLE!!!! I have Sat internet and Sat tv now and so miss my cable. I loved being able to stream TV and video. The price of country living...
brenda in MI

nstitches4u 12-01-2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AuntieD (Post 5690317)
I believe that no matter what media u use, cable, dish etc, they overcharge and under-deliver.

I agree. Over the last 10-12 years we have had Comcast, DirecTV and, currently, AT&T Uverse. We have 200 channels of absolutley nothing worth watching Unfortunately, we can't get even local channels or news without some type of cable or satellite since HD came into existence. I think we will cancel our service as soon as our contract runs out and just watch old TV shows and movies on DVD and get the news on the internet.

squires1042 12-02-2012 03:05 AM

I always enjoyed the quilting/sewing shows on PBS on Saturday mornings, but went to watch them today and found they have taken them off again. So disappointing. I with the rest of you there are fewer and fewer decent shows to watch on TV anymore. Thank goodness for quilting.

kathbug 12-02-2012 03:53 AM

My 2 daughters have Net Flix now and love it. It is only $8. A month

vhord620 12-02-2012 04:46 AM

Hubby has Roku and his laptop connected to the TV 52" screen via a HDMI cable. He watches very little TV (we have cable tv). We also subscribe to Netflix. There are so many documentaries, movies, tv shows that are free. They add new channels all the time.

My problem with cable or satellite is that I pay them for service, then have to watch too many commercials that the advertisers pay, sounds like double dipping??

Of course he's the remote KING and he'd like to get rid of cable tv, but I don't like all that switching from the TV remote, cable remote, Roku remote, WII remote......he also uses the LOOP mouse, which I can not master, and add to that a remote control fan to keep him cool.....LOL

We love the advantage of ROKU and Netflix.

Weenween 12-02-2012 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=AuntieD;5690317]I believe that no matter what media u use, cable, dish etc, they overcharge and under-deliver.[/QUOT

AMEN TO THAT ONE