Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

bearisgray 07-15-2016 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;7602651

It would be more logical if those wh words were spelled hwile, hwat, hwen, hwo, hwere.[/QUOTE]

Or:

hwile
hwot
hwen
hoo
hware

mac 07-15-2016 06:10 PM

Oh, too funny, Patchesnposies.

Reminds me of the time when I broke my right arm in 3 places and the doctors put a hanging cast on me and told me I had to sleep sitting up in a chair for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I broke my arm 2 weeks before the opening of my Police, Postal and Fireman's Uniform store. By the fourth week, I was positively crazy from no sleep, but the temporary help I had was doing a horrible job and not representing the store in the way I had wanted. So, into the store I go to take care of things and the first customer I talk to is an EMT (emergency medical trained) person and he asked me how to take care of the shirt he had just bought.

I explained to him that after he washed the shirt to just put it in the dryer with a "Stay-Flo Maxi Pad" instead of a "Stay Puff Drier Sheet." That was over 40 years ago and I can still remember the embarrassment I had (and I am one to turn bright red) while I stared at him with a deer-in-the-headlights look while I was trying to remember if I had used the right name. The EMT looked at me with a very kind, sympathetic face, and patted my good arm and said, "That is all right, I know what you meant." AKWARD! So much for looking professional.

JanieH 07-16-2016 04:37 PM

[One of my personal irritants is hearing 'salmon' spoken with the 'l' pronounced. SALmon, instead of 'sammon'. That l is silent.[/QUOTE]

Salmon with the "l" pronounced is an acceptable pronunciation. While it may irritate you, to others it is pleasant.
Just as "pecan" can be "pe-CAN" or "pe-CON" - much depends on the geographical area you are in.

bearisgray 07-16-2016 06:43 PM

Febuary
February

How do we get Wensday from Wednesday?

zozee 07-16-2016 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH (Post 7603358)
[One of my personal irritants is hearing 'salmon' spoken with the 'l' pronounced. SALmon, instead of 'sammon'. That l is silent.

Salmon with the "l" pronounced is an acceptable pronunciation. While it may irritate you, to others it is pleasant.
Just as "pecan" can be "pe-CAN" or "pe-CON" - much depends on the geographical area you are in.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I don't know about "sal-mon" being an acceptable pronunciation? I searched several sites and all of them concur with the silent "l". It's definitely a geographical (mis?)pronunciation. I had to break my hubby of it when we were married because it drove me nuts!

Another few that make me squirm:

"warsh" instead of "wash"
"wooder" instead of "water"
"conversate" instead of "converse"
"orientate" instead of "orient"

maryellen2u 07-16-2016 08:51 PM

My MIL (God rest her soul) always pronounced filthy and "thilthy". She was from Iowa (she said "Ioway") but I don't think that was a regional error.

ptquilts 07-17-2016 04:00 AM

I have known a few people from the midwest who use "laundry" as a verb ( I guess they mean launder).

Chester the bunny 07-17-2016 07:00 AM

..........and men have prostates, not prostRates

bearisgray 07-17-2016 07:15 AM

not reading the whole thread - and missing something important - and making an inappropriate comment -

Such as " hope he recovers quickly" and the funeral was two weeks ago.

ptquilts 07-17-2016 07:25 AM

I just read a story on another forum about someone who got stuck behind a funeral procession, carrying a balloon out the window that was too big to fit in the car. Message on balloon - GET WELL SOON.

AWK-ward.....