Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

bearisgray 07-17-2016 09:27 AM

Or seeing a name - and wondering how to pronounce it -

"Bangasser" - I did ask first how to say it - It is "Ban - gas - ser" -

not "Bang-ass-er" which is how I first "saw" the name. (Whew!)

Peckish 07-17-2016 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7602627)
One of my personal irritants is hearing 'salmon' spoken with the 'l' pronounced. SALmon, instead of 'sammon'.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, which is salmon country. My husband is from central California, which is almond country. When I first met him, he and his family were discussing the "ammon harvest". I listened for a while, then finally asked him what ammons were. He told me it's how they pronounce almonds. I playfully teased him about mis-pronouncing it, because there's a very obvious L in almond. He fired back "Do you say 'sammon' or 'solmon'?" And I said welllll, good point, I guess.... :D

mojo11 07-21-2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7600355)
Ha ha! This is another one that people do a lot that makes me chuckle - LOL means laugh out loud, so you're saying "laugh out loud out loud"! :D

This means it is extra funny!

mojo11 07-21-2016 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7600480)
Do you mean "grammar"? 😜

Thank you for your correction.

ILoveToQuilt 07-22-2016 12:37 PM

Not really an awkward word...but I can't stand it when people us apostrophe s on any word that ends in s.
Example: Thank You Veteran's Nelson's Car's.....grrrr

Just my pet peeve.

ILoveToQuilt 07-22-2016 12:41 PM

How about this one...

Nucular instead of nuclear?

ILoveToQuilt 07-22-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom (Post 7599516)
I'm not a fan either of the word moist. I really don't like the word tinkle. Used to work with a grown woman who always said "I have to tinkle." Really?

"Tinkle" must be a NY thing! I grew up with that word and to this day, my 94 yo aunt (or "ant" as I say) and my 98 yo mother still say they have to "tinkle".

SewingSew 07-22-2016 12:54 PM

Anita, My mother-in-law grew up in Manhattan and she used the word tinkle. She was the sweetest woman and I miss her.

ILoveToQuilt 07-22-2016 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7600189)
My husband and I clash on the pronunciation of words all the time. He is from Massachusetts and I am from South Carolina. For example, he pronounces Amish using a long vowel sound on the a. I pronounce it using a short vowel sound on the a.

And heah (here) I thought it was only my DH who said it this way.

My DD has a pet peeve with me: she pronounces "hanger" as hanga (Boston) while I pronounce it "hangrrr". My sister (from Nevada) always said "warsher" - New Englander that I am...washer.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. My Mom used to drink "cawfee", "wawlk the dawg" and drink "wawter". Since I've lived in New England for most of my life (over 40 years now), I think most of the NY has been "beaten" out of me. Although my DH says he can still hear it...

bearisgray 07-23-2016 05:13 AM

Tinkle -

Well - as far as "other" words for urinate - it is tolerable.

I wonder how many males "tinkle"?