Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

madamekelly 07-11-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7598992)
effect----special effects

affect------affected areas of the body

I learned that an "effect" is a result and "affect" is an action. Keeps them straight for me.

My "bugaboo" word is necessary, nesessary, nec, I mean needed. Lol! I can never spell that word. I also cringe when I hear "aks" instead if ask.

klswift 07-11-2016 10:32 AM

my youngest had a problem with a few words and how they have stuck. I still find myself saying 'breafkast' and it is 'froggy' (foggy) in the morning. It is almost like muscle memory!!!!!!!

JanieH 07-11-2016 10:56 AM

My word is "assuage". For some reason it is difficult for me to pronounce.

Peckish 07-11-2016 12:08 PM

Nuclear. New-clear, not nuke-u-ler.

Reading my boss's emails always made me cringe. She would consistently write "haft to" instead of "have to", and Wensday instead of Wednesday.

I always have to look twice when spelling "separate". I get it wrong nearly every time.

orangeroom 07-11-2016 01:28 PM

I'm not a fan either of the word moist. I really don't like the word tinkle. Used to work with a grown woman who always said "I have to tinkle." Really?

orangeroom 07-11-2016 01:30 PM

Oh, also I'm not a fan whenever my mom would say thong when she meant flip-flops. We often corrected her and tried to clarify that thong nowadays meant something entirely different and she should not say it loud and out in public!!!

dunster 07-11-2016 01:54 PM

I had an English teacher who hated for anyone to write "alright", insisting that there was no such word, and it should be "all right" but now I see that alright is in the dictionary. Sometimes grammar changes because of common usage. I still write it as two words, because that's the way I was taught, and that English teacher might still be around to see it.

bearisgray 07-11-2016 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom (Post 7599520)
Oh, also I'm not a fan whenever my mom would say thong when she meant flip-flops. We often corrected her and tried to clarify that thong nowadays meant something entirely different and she should not say it loud and out in public!!!

I (and some of my friends) still call that kind of foot-wear "thongs".

ptquilts 07-11-2016 05:05 PM

Lay and lie is pretty easy - Lay is a transitive verb, meaning it has an object. I lay the quilt on the bed. Lie is an intransitive verb, no object . I lie on the bed.

To clarify more, transitive verbs are followed by a noun. I bake the pie. I ride the bike. The same verbs can also be intransitive, I bake every morning. I ride to work most days.

Lie and Lay are mixed up by a lot of people.

I still say thongs and am probably the only person left who calls blue jeans, "dungarees". (almost 60 years old).

I was taught to remember there is "a rat" in separate. Works for me.

Patchesnposies 07-11-2016 05:29 PM

I just read through all of the pages. This is a fun thread! I was surprised to see that no one has an issue with one that always makes me cringe............Fuss-trated instead of frustrated. Or, Li-berry instead of library. Ax, instead of ask, (someone did mention this one)......those make up my trio of words that set my teeth on edge! lol