Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

Notwendy 07-12-2016 10:50 AM

One I ran across when I moved to Wisconsin (though not everyone uses it so it may not be a regionalism, just poor education) is "I borrowed something to someone". Gah! No. Loan to & borrow from.

I also see loose & lose used interchangeably in writing. That would mean loser meant less tight, no? : )

I can't do effect/affect with any real consistency (also, a synonym is a word that replaces the one you can't say, spell, or use correctly).

However, some things just stick with you from childhood. I still say "I'm fixing to do xyz" or "I'm fixing to go to the store" etc. Very southeastern USA, y'all.

linkd 07-12-2016 10:54 AM

If you are old enough to remember when thongs went on your feet you probably shouldn't wear them anymore since there is no support for your arch.... If you are old enough to remember when thongs went on your feet you probably shouldn't wear them anymore because your backside needs a little support too and thongs (of either type) don't support anything.

SewingSew 07-12-2016 11:20 AM

Notwendy, I grew up saying that I was fixing to do something too, or that "it's coming up a storm", or that we "put up" 40 quarts of tomatoes, instead of we "canned" 40 quarts of tomatoes. And a pepsi-cola could refer to any kind of soda, unless you decided to call it by its true name. Dinner was eaten arbout noon-time, and supper was the evening meal. If we were cooking enough of something (like beans) for a meal, we would say that we were cooking up a mess of beans. I could go on and on. I've lived in many different places, and every place has their own personal collection of regional things that they say and do.

cjsews 07-12-2016 11:24 AM

The ones I see way too often are then and than. I hope these are simply typos.

Patchesnposies 07-12-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7600212)
Notwendy, I grew up saying that I was fixing to do something too, or that "it's coming up a storm", or that we "put up" 40 quarts of tomatoes, instead of we "canned" 40 quarts of tomatoes. And a pepsi-cola could refer to any kind of soda, unless you decided to call it by its true name. Dinner was eaten arbout noon-time, and supper was the evening meal. If we were cooking enough of something (like beans) for a meal, we would say that we were cooking up a mess of beans. I could go on and on. I've lived in many different places, and every place has their own personal collection of regional things that they say and do.

Can someone "cut off the light" is a colloquialism I heard a lot from my okie forebears.

SewingSew 07-12-2016 12:08 PM

It's "shut off the light" where I'm from. When I lived in Virginia, they " parked the car in the dooryard," whereas I park the car in the driveway. In some places, there are hoagies. Up north there are grinders or subs. Where I"m from, there are submarine sandwiches. In Ohio, they had pop. In Virginia, they had tonic. And in the Carolinas, we had pepsi-cola (or a "drink")..

GrammieJan 07-12-2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7600236)
It's "shut off the light" where I'm from. When I lived in Virginia, they " parked the car in the dooryard," whereas I park the car in the driveway. In some places, there are hoagies. Up north there are grinders or subs. Where I"m from, there are submarine sandwiches. In Ohio, they had pop. In Virginia, they had tonic. And in the Carolinas, we had pepsi-cola (or a "drink")..

My Mom always called it Cold Drink. (Arkansas). Most common use these days around here (NM or TX) is Coke...that means any type of soda.

mojo11 07-12-2016 01:07 PM

This is a great thread! I really am educated, but I find myself using so many slang words and sentences. My DMIL used to say-- Don't tump that glass over. Not sure if it was dump or tumble. That bothered me. LOL We all have our own ways of talking but some times they sound ignorant. (sp) I really am enjoying reading these. I probably may several grammer errors in this. LOLOL :)

SewingSew 07-12-2016 02:16 PM

This is a great thread GrammieJan. Thank you for starting it. I imagine Coke and Pepsi are laughing all the way to the bank because their marketing strategies must have reached across generations of people.

orangeroom 07-12-2016 02:27 PM

Ooops! I'm guilty of mixing up advice and advise! I am enjoying this thread though.