Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Babies! Just in time for Easter. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/babies-just-time-easter-t118297.html)

watterstide 04-24-2011 05:03 AM

how cute!

jdiane318 04-24-2011 05:15 AM

I think what you did was truly amazing and kind. We are talking about Wild Turkeys, aren't we? Because they are wildlife, you might want to contact your conservation/forest officials about what you have. Explain the situation to them, they might be able to help you with things that you can use and do as they get older.

PurplePassion 04-24-2011 06:21 AM

What a great way to start off Easter morning. I remember we had incubators in the basement, and my Mom had so many chicken , duck and goose eggs in there. I felt so sorry for the little one trying to get out , so I helped them break out their shell.

CarrieAnne 04-24-2011 06:30 AM

Cute!

amma 04-24-2011 06:33 PM

Awwww they are adorable :D:D:D

Rachelcb80 04-25-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Rachel, that sounds like such fun!!! You just made my day.........life is beautiful in so many ways!!!!!!!!!!
Let us know what you name your "pet turkeys" when they get bigger lol :D:D

There will be no naming. :) Seems I've settled out with 11. Out of 13 eggs that is a really great number. Never ever would have though that many would hatch. Both the ones that didn't hatch made it full term because they began pecking out of their eggs, but died in the process. That makes me so much more sad than when an egg just doesn't develope. To think they made it all the way to the end, but just didn't get out of the egg. I understand that's all a part of life and nature though.

We will do our best to get these guys up to a safe age and then we'll turn them loose. I'm going to encourage as much natural behavior as I can (roosting at night, ect.) so they hopefully will do well on their own outside.

As for contacting local wildlife officials, I'm a bit hesitant to do that. To the best of my knowledge it's actually against federal law to keep any species of animal that is naturally occuring in your area. I would never disturb a healthy nest and I wouldn't have took these eggs if I thought the hen would return but the law is the law. I'll just quietly do my good deed and hopefully help the turkey population in doing so. :)

Jennifer22206 04-25-2011 06:54 AM

that's such a great story. :) You did a great thing!

jljack 04-25-2011 02:47 PM

CUTE babies!!!

Kas 04-25-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I think what you did was truly amazing and kind. We are talking about Wild Turkeys, aren't we? Because they are wildlife, you might want to contact your conservation/forest officials about what you have. Explain the situation to them, they might be able to help you with things that you can use and do as they get older.

This is a great suggestion. On the other hand, you might want to check the local laws to make sure you aren't breaking them before you call the officials! LOL. Aren't they so sweet?!?

PABerard 04-25-2011 03:49 PM

Well would you look at that! Amazing!