Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bibs for my Dad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bibs-my-dad-t207961.html)

janiesews 12-10-2012 06:22 AM

Your bibs for your Dad are darling. Great idea and it has to brighten the day for anyone who sees him. Blessings to you and your Mother.

JANICE E. 12-10-2012 07:52 AM

Great idea on bib. ,I also know how hard it is taking care of the elderly. But they took care of us and now it's our turn to step to the plate. Inner strenght is why we are able to do this for our parents and LOVE. hugs sent to you

rosiewell 12-10-2012 11:08 AM

what a great idea and so cheerful. thanks for posting.

SherriB 12-10-2012 11:21 AM

I love the bibs you made for you father!! When I worked in nursing home, we only had blue terry cloth "clothing protectors". I am amazed that your Dad can't have rails on his bed!!! Falling to the floor is so dangerous for elderly patients.

pinecone 12-10-2012 12:09 PM

Love you eye-catching clothing protectors for your Dad and I'm glad it gives your Mom a little lift too. She is wise to take them home to wash, the facilities there are very hard on fabrics too and yes, some wander. DMIL lived with us for 7 years with Alz. I had chef's aprons that I used as "crumb catchers". The longer length was great and I could bleach when needed.

piney

jeanharville 12-10-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder (Post 5708126)
The facility my mom was in told me the patients have gotten thir arms, legs and heads stuck under the bed rails or they try to climb over them. They also do not have foot rests on the wheelchairs because the patient will try to stand up on them and fall flat on their faces. Ask for a lower bed, my mom got a lower bed and they also put down pads on the floor like gym mats.

I had wondered why they didn't allow bed rails since it seems like a good safety device. But, I hadn't thought about the other dangers. Thanks for explaining.

JanieH 12-10-2012 02:58 PM

I love the term clothing protectors. I think I will make some for myself. Living alone, I frequently eat in my recliner while reading or watching tv and usually just put a kitchen towel over me. These would also be functional and pretty!

sewdamncute 12-10-2012 07:42 PM

Great, cute, practical idea.

bearisgray 12-10-2012 09:19 PM

"Clothing Protector" does sound nicer than "Bib"

I also need them. Try as I might - I usually end up with a splotch on my front.

SMR 12-10-2012 11:33 PM

Nice clothing protectors. I would have loved some of them for my residents when I worked in a long term nursing facility. For the comments on side rails, they are considered a restraint and often require Dr's order and can be dangerous with a confused resident. Low beds and floor pads work well and if you have problem getting them talk to their Dr and get ordr for them.