Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cell phone or Land line...or both? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cell-phone-land-line-both-t33950.html)

tlrnhi 01-12-2010 11:49 PM

I have both the cordless and a corded phone hooked up.
Hubby always forgets the corded phone will work when power goes out.

Sandy1951 01-13-2010 01:30 AM

We have both right now. However, our home phone is bundled with cable and internet service, plus it's a cordless phone, so if the power goes out, so does the service. My DH and I both have cell phones, but we don't get very good reception in our house. We're in the process of moving and since the reception is much better in the new house, we may get rid of the home phone. It's been dropped too many times and the display doesn't work, so we can only see who's calling if the tv is on.

We always remember to charge our cell phones, but I hate to hold mine for any length of time. I hold it in my left hand, which is the side on which I have lymphedema in my arm and hand, and my arm gets tired pretty quickly. I might get one of those headsets to use since we won't have the home phone. However, I really don't spend much time on the phone.

maryb119 01-13-2010 05:41 AM

We have both land line and cell phones but we use the cell phone way more.

QuiltingGrannie 01-13-2010 05:45 AM

We just have cell phones. Haven't had a land line in over 5 years. My (grown) kids and spouses also just have cell phones. Works for all of us, although at time I wish the kids had a land line when they forget to turn the cell phones back on after church.

STAR 01-13-2010 06:06 AM

we have cell phones only. I think of getting a house phone but it would be just another bill. land lines have become SO expensive. once we both had cells we saw no reason to keep it. we have 3 kids but there is always a phone at home if we are gone. I do think about getting a prepaid just for emergencies to keep at the house.

LindaR 01-13-2010 06:55 AM

we have a land line and I carry a no/contract phone with minutes I add. My DH is retired Ameritech so landline is not much of an expense.

butterflywing 01-13-2010 07:59 AM

anyone who has direct tv or cable and also has dsl can add basic phone for very little more. companies are so competitive now.

Bevanger 01-13-2010 08:19 AM

We're in the dinosaur age still :-( No cell phone. Just a land line.
How do you use a computer without landline?

RedGarnet222 01-13-2010 08:31 AM

Bev,
The cable company gives you a box that you hook the computer into. It is lightning fast on line. We have another box that makes my laptop wireless on the home network.

Listen ... HP.com has many free classes that are on this subject and more. Some of the tuts are can be read right away and are not classes. It will give you tons of information about it. ps) You don't have to have a hp to go there and use the classes.

Bevanger 01-13-2010 09:01 AM

We have Satelite hun anf DH says Satellite internet is expensive