Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   classic (non Belgian) waffle makers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/classic-non-belgian-waffle-makers-t272716.html)

mindless 11-27-2015 10:56 PM

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I'm going to spend some time looking at all your links. I've kind of avoided thrift store buys even tho they often have the 'old fashioned' version I'm looking for, only bc I don't expect one from there to live very long if it works at all. Maybe I shoud reconsider....
Quiltingcandy, you can come over for waffles anytime you like! I will even get those dollar store or frozen ones for now. Just bring your sewing machine with you. I'll even supply a wip or ufo to keep you busy while we wait on the toaster. :rolleyes:
Annaquilts...your explanation is perfect. I'm not a fan of deep pockets...at least in this case. :)
Geri B...I LOVE your ideas.

illinois 11-28-2015 04:36 AM

Don't be too afraid of the thrift store variety. Consider price and take a chance. The waffle iron I have is one my mother bought for me when I was first setting up housekeeping some 45 yrs ago. She was helping with a group yard sale when a fellow came through with this waffle iron--priced at 25 cents. She commented that she wished she had seen that for her daughter and he responded that he had several and she could have it! It badly needed a new cord so I bought one at the local hardware store, replaced it and have been using it ever since. Makes wonderful waffles. The thing to remember about the old ones is to not destroy the tempering once you've begun using them. Made before teflon, etc. Just brush out the crumbs or maybe wipe with a damp cloth, if necessary. I use the recipe in my well-worn Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.(also about 45 yrs old!--both front and back are loose as are many pages but still my favorite recipes)

Geri B 11-28-2015 06:55 AM

Last sentence regarding old cookbook....yes I have one too...given to me by my dad, who at the time worked for the printing company that produced these....falling apart, literally, but still a lot of times my go-to cooking bible.....also the family bible was given the same way...and it too has seen its wear.......

Sandygirl 11-28-2015 07:16 AM

I would be very leery of altering electrical cords. Buy a new waffle iron. Imho. Not worth burning the house down to save a few $$.
sandy

shortcake2012 11-28-2015 01:42 PM

I hate Belgian Waffles as does my family. It is hard to find one that isn't but Proctor Silex makes one called the Morning Baker Waffle Iron. I bought mine on Amazon for $39.99.

Quilty-Louise 11-28-2015 01:57 PM

I found this classic waffle maker on amazon.

Cuisinart waffle maker

selm 11-28-2015 02:22 PM

Below is a link to a waffle maker like the one I have. Although the listing says "Belgian" waffle maker it looks like my, classic, waffle maker and several reviewers say that too. I've had mine for maybe 10+ years. Don't use it too much but when I do I love it. I make a regular batch from the Bisquick box recipe. We don't need that many waffles at once but what I do is take the extra batter and make more waffles but under-cooking them (only until I can pull them off the grids) so I can freeze them. Then when I toast them(or use toaster oven to heat up) they don't get over done.

Jeanne S 11-28-2015 08:35 PM

Last year I bought the Calphalon No Peek Waffle Iron. We love it. It makes a great waffle that is a cross between a regular waffle and a Belgian waffle. It is slightly thicker and deeper dents than a regular waffle, just perfect size. True non stick surface and makes them really fast. Crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. But it is somewhat pricy. Bought it from Amazon.

sailsablazin 11-29-2015 12:41 PM

We have a new Waring Pro Belgium waffle maker. We had an older model that made one waffle at a time but wore that one out after many years of weekly usage (the hinge finally broke---not repairable).
We purchased another one same brand) that makes 2 large waffles at a time. The waffle maker flips and does one on the top and one on the bottom.. WE LOVE IT! and use it constantly.

mindless 12-05-2015 04:04 AM

So....this is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WMR-...Classic-Waffle
It's RED! It makes great waffles, & it has 5 "pick your crispyness" choices. The waffle maker tells you when it's ready according to your choice. Love that. Only downside....they are pretty small....8" diameter. So I just make more! :thumbup: