Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clean windows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clean-windows-t289603.html)

Stitchnripper 07-12-2017 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 7862609)
yes and never minded it a bit, even with two in diapers for a while. Also hung them outside when possible. I only had 1 flat cloth diaper left ( out of 4 dozen ) and I was hoarding it for windows when I stumbled on a box of 8 prefolds at a garage sale for $1.00. Yippee ! I did share with my son in law because he's the window washer at their house and he's a believer now.

Me too! I had two in cloth diapers at the same time. Probably because Pampers weren't invented yet. I hung them outside and didn't mind at all. Loved seeing them flap in the breeze.

I use windex and a microfiber cloth inside. Had someone come and clean the outsides. WE are on a hill so couldn't reach even the downstairs ones let alone the upstairs ones. Money well spent!!

ube quilting 07-12-2017 12:41 PM

Vinegar, a drop of dish soap and water, squeegee. Windows sparkle.

cashs_mom 07-12-2017 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7862664)
Me too! I had two in cloth diapers at the same time. Probably because Pampers weren't invented yet. I hung them outside and didn't mind at all. Loved seeing them flap in the breeze.

I use windex and a microfiber cloth inside. Had someone come and clean the outsides. WE are on a hill so couldn't reach even the downstairs ones let alone the upstairs ones. Money well spent!!

I'm thinking about having someone come and do mine. We have a two story house and I'm not up for climbing up a ladder and I really don't want my husband doing it either. Plus we have double paned windows that are a pain to clean. I think it would be money well spent

quiltingshorttimer 07-12-2017 02:12 PM

I live on a gravel--make that limestone dust most of the year, and limestone mud the rest of it!. So washing windows outside is often futile effort! I do wash in spring and fall-both in and out. Luckily when we built the house, we had those kind that fold into the house on the windows you can't stand on flat ground and reach easily.

nativetexan 07-12-2017 02:40 PM

ha, ha. i watched Outnumbered about a young couple with six kids. five were quints. she keeps telling everyone how many diapers she uses and all the boxes of diapers they must buy. Get cloth ones and wash them. then you'd have dust wipes galore left over!! I still have some very thin ones somewhere. i polish my furniture with those.

M.Elizabeth 07-12-2017 03:12 PM

We had new windows put in probably 30 years ago that open to the inside so is easy to wash the outside of the window, as well as the inside. A great investment!

Endora 07-12-2017 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7862750)
ha, ha. i watched Outnumbered about a young couple with six kids. five were quints. she keeps telling everyone how many diapers she uses and all the boxes of diapers they must buy. Get cloth ones and wash them. then you'd have dust wipes galore left over!! I still have some very thin ones somewhere. i polish my furniture with those.

I 100% agree! As for cleaning and polishing cloths, I have a few diapers I use to polish furniture with, too. Old diapers make for dust-free cloths. 30 plus years old and still going strong! As I told one neighbour, try that with a disposable diaper.

Endora 07-12-2017 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth (Post 7862770)
We had new windows put in probably 30 years ago that open to the inside so is easy to wash the outside of the window, as well as the inside. A great investment!

We have friends with that style of window. I am so envious of you! :)

Jingle 07-12-2017 06:08 PM

nativetexan - the name of the show is: Outdaughtered. They have the only set of all girl quintuplets in the country. I watch the show every time it is on. If I were them I would use disposable diapers too. Taking care of the 5 babies and the older girl would not leave time to wash and hang out diapers.

I had to use cloth diapers for our three kids, because there were no disposables. Cloth diapers do not absorb, even doubled as much as the cheap disposables.

I bought used diapers to clean my eye glasses. My youngest is 48.

For windows and car windows I pour some window cleaner in a pail, dip a rag in, wring out and dry with an old hand towel.

LenaBeena 07-12-2017 06:13 PM

Ahh, cloth diapers! Had two in them, lived in the country so used a washline. Some days the wind blew so much I could hang a long row and have the first ones dry by the time I was finished hanging the rest. Good old days. :)