Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Coconut oil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/coconut-oil-t266256.html)

Rosyhf 06-15-2015 02:24 PM

I was raised on coconut oil, candy, ice cream, cake and all sorts of goodies..... and it is absolutely wonderful in rice and beans made from scratch. I have a pot of it cooking right now, it smells devine. hubby can't wait.

Ditter43 06-15-2015 03:40 PM

I also use a lot of coconut oil. I love it for everything. It's the only time I lick the spoon after putting an oil in the skillet etc. I also use iit for my skin and hair. It's a wonderful food.

madamekelly 06-15-2015 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarleneC (Post 7225784)
I am hearing more bad things about soy in products--I can't use it because I take a blood thinner and some are advising using almond or coconut milk in drinks--I use both almond & coconut milk--less calories than regular milk.

unfortunately most of the milk substitutes have way too much salt for me...

amommasheart6 06-15-2015 09:40 PM

Coconut oil is one of my favorite ingredients! My two favorite ways to enjoy it is by scrambling eggs in a little melted in a skillet, and my putting in on my toast instead of butter. It's not often that you can wipe a spoon clean with your finger and rub the excess on your arms and face as a nice moisturizer =).

purpleleaf 06-16-2015 05:44 AM

I use coconut oil in the solution I mix to put on the cloth diaper wipes. My son has very sensitive skin and breaks out when I use the store bought baby wipes (even the ones labeled sensitive). When he has a very bad diaper rash, coconut oil slathered on the area religiously every hour works better than the creams they sell for diaper rash.

I have eczema and I'll reach for the coconut oil if I'm not around anything else and I have a bothersome spot, but it only works when it's small and mild. Anything beyond that, and the coconut oil won't do much for me. I love the smell.

I don't really cook with it because I find the taste affects the food I'm working with. For that reason, I only use it in things that would be complimented by the coconut taste. I know some people say you can't taste the coconut but I find it very apparent.

mjhaess 06-16-2015 08:34 AM

It has many health benefits....

Irishrose2 06-16-2015 10:43 AM

Yes, it affects the taste of fried foods, but I like the slight sweetness so it's okay. I often mix coconut oil and butter. I just made brownies with coconut oil and pulverized black beans. They smell wonderful. I use it and organic butter in my morning coffee, but not as much as the Bulletproof recipe that's circulating around. How can not be better for you than those nasty creamers? Aldi's has a pint of organic coconut oil for $4.99. I like it for my skin, but haven't tried it on my hair. Years ago, I used it on a dog with skin issues and it was extremely difficult to wash out. I have no desire to wash my hair in Dawn dishwashing detergent. It did help with the nasty dandruff she arrived with so for the dog it was worth it.

cmilton 06-16-2015 11:48 AM

works for everything! hair, skin, lips . I cook with it too!

Rosyhf 06-16-2015 02:34 PM

I usually take a fresh coconut and grate it and squeeze the milk out of it and make ice cream ...it is to die for....

Annaquilts 01-16-2016 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7223448)
...friend is raving about it for body rash! Anyone know anything about it? Or is this another health ruse? She said one can cook with it too! I have looked on net, but we all know how true that can be......just wondering.....

It is great and islanders have used it forever, hair, skin and food. Just go to the health food store and buy a good quality organic coconut oil.