Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Contacts or Glasses? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/contacts-glasses-t50344.html)

Jim's Gem 06-19-2010 08:49 AM

They make bi-focal contact lenses, I may need to check them out soon here. But not yet....

Chasing Hawk 06-19-2010 09:11 AM

I wear glasses, have been for the past 8 years. Now I am dealing with a rather sore and ever growing stye on my lower eyelid. I am so tired of hot compresses.....lol

cjomomma 06-19-2010 09:21 AM

I have been wearing glasses sense 3rd grade. I tried contacts for a while about a year ago and I couldn't see anything up close plus I was constantly fiddling with the contacts, my eyes didn't seen to like them. Also my face felt naked without my glasses on.

BKinCO 06-19-2010 09:21 AM

I wear contacts and was experiencing the same thing as you. I finally caved in and went to the eye doctor. I was at that age where they're ready to put you in bifocals. So what she did was give me one contact for reading and sewing, and one for seeing distance. I wear them both, and it took about 2 weeks for my brain to adjust. Somehow, magically, I just see now. God help me if I ever get them mixed up though ~ then I'm in a world of trouble :) But I see so much better with contacts than glasses...

stchn4livn 06-19-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I wear glasses, have been for the past 8 years. Now I am dealing with a rather sore and ever growing stye on my lower eyelid. I am so tired of hot compresses.....lol

Try using the back of a spoon. Rub it gently, do it several times a day. That is how we got rid of styes.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-19-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
They make bi-focal contact lenses, I may need to check them out soon here. But not yet....

I've worn them for several years and love them. My vision was perfect until my mid-40's- that's when I needed reading glasses but then my distance vision started getting bad. Bi-focals contacts are perfect for me. I absolutely hate glasses and never wear them. I think it's hard to adjust to glasses when you never had to wear them, at least for that is the case for me. But I'm also grateful that I didn't until my 40's as so many people wear glasses from an early age. My kids all have great vision too :)
They keep coming out with great procedures for all sorts of vision problems. Someday maybe I can be free of contacts as well. For now they are fine.

Mamagus 06-19-2010 09:37 AM

LASIK! I had mine done at 49 when I was already using"double sight" glasses. One eye was corrected for distance vision and one was corrected so I could read. It was hard adjusting but well worth the trouble. It was two years ago and I can do everything except thread needles and read script on medicine boxes... I use cheap dollar store magnifying glasses for that.

Contacts were really bothering my eyes and even the expensive kind didn't correct my astigmatism correctly.

sharon b 06-19-2010 09:44 AM

I am in readers and seem to be moving up FAST :shock: Maybe you just need new contacts :lol:

Honey 06-19-2010 09:50 AM

I've worn glasses since I was 9. Tried contacts once, but the dry eye thing drove me nuts (nuttier?). Now when I'm on the computor or sewing I take my glasses off because I can see better without them.

sewgull 06-19-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

Have you tried place a wet tea bag on the stye? The tanic acid in tea helps styes heal.