Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   craigs list (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/craigs-list-t272935.html)

mindless 12-05-2015 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 (Post 7394484)
I had a guy come here once when I was selling tractor tire chains...he wanted to give me a check..I refused...it was a weekday..told him to go to the bank and come back..he told me he was a sherriff...I didn't believe him...called my brother in law(state trooper)..he really was a sherriff !! He had long scurfy hair..he was just an oddball...but you never can tell!
I did learn an excellent tip...when someone comes to your house...go out and immediately take a pic of their licence plate and send it to anyone..if they have bad intentions, it scares the heck out of them..I had 1 guy get back in his car and just peel out of here! It's a scary world..we need to be prepared!

This is a really great idea!

sputano 12-05-2015 04:34 AM

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and I knew that their offering double the asking price had to be a scam. Text them back and told them not to contact me again. Solved that issue. The problem is some people don't realize that it is a scam.

Battle Axe 12-05-2015 04:34 AM

He was probably undercover kind of cop. We have one here that is real scary looking when he has his long hair and beard, but cleaned up he is not too bad.

sewnsewer2 12-05-2015 04:40 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. I reported it too.

cindyb 12-05-2015 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7393887)
That is why I use PayPal only for payment on all my transactions. Thanks for the post.

My boss's Paypal account was hacked twice!!!

Dodie 12-05-2015 05:48 AM

I checked groceries for a major chain for a long time and we were never allowed to take postal money orders as we were told there was lots of fraud in them I do no use or go to craigs list as I have heard many complaints on them

2manyhobbies 12-05-2015 06:32 AM

I only sell locally. The buyer must meet me in a public location and have CASH with them. I haven't sold anything as large as a sewing machine, but that's how I would sell one if I had one to sell. If I had anything like jewelry to sell, the sale would take place inside a police station...no joke. People are doing that.

donnajean 12-05-2015 06:50 AM

I posted an ad on CraigsList for vintage doilies and ended up selling not only the doilies, but a quilt to a neighbor who lived 2 streets from me. I only sell locally accepting only cash.

miriam 12-05-2015 07:04 AM

I have bought and sold a lot on Craigslist and never had a problem I always insist on cast there is an atm up the street.

Geri B 12-05-2015 07:12 AM

Daughter had the same experience...took to police station...was told it was a scam, but they really couldn't do anything about it.....return addy on envelope was also false......