Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Credit alert!!!!! Card numbers hacked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/credit-alert-card-numbers-hacked-t215727.html)

Jingle 03-07-2013 12:24 PM

Discover has had this problem. One of our card numbers were gotten by someone. They got by with a 350.00 dollar purchase, the over 900.00 was stopped. Our cards were in our possesion.

Libster 03-07-2013 03:43 PM

"Many companies require you to enter the info every time rather than them storing the info."

I have never had my information stored by any online business. I always enter my info each time and I always check out as a "Guest" if possible. They hit my cards anyway. You know, if these thieves would work half as hard at honest labor, just think what they could accomplish!

joey 03-07-2013 05:20 PM

I placed an order with Connecting Threads about 1-2 weeks ago and my debit card got hacked. The company that my bank has checking for this kind of thing called me yesterday morning. They caught a charge trying to be put thru from a place in "Madrid"...they would not put it thru (thank goodness) because info could not be verified. Now I am without a debit card until we get home...but at least they saved me from losing a bunch of money.....Thanks for the info on Connecting Threads....Joey

Ccorazone 03-08-2013 05:01 AM

My number was used in the UK recently. Charges for nearly $1000 at 5 different web sites. The bank investigated and all money's were returned to me.

pamesue 03-08-2013 05:09 AM

I use a dump account thru my bank...I make my purchase and then transfer only the amount needed to cover the purchase, no extra. This is what my bank suggested I do and so far no problems.

sparkys_mom 03-08-2013 05:20 AM

My credit card company has contacted me in the past when they've detected out of the normal transactions - like 20cent test purchases and the like. My card has been replaced twice in the last couple of years - I just received a replacement card last week with a letter that it was a precaution. I check my on line balances and charges on a daily basis.

carolynjo 03-08-2013 06:50 AM

Ditto, donnalynett. We just finished up a pre-paid card and that is our "wave of the future." I don't intend to order anything on-line in the future.

labtechkty 03-08-2013 07:01 PM

I received a notice as well. Fabric depot also suggested checking your credit files as these people used the info to get credit under your name...too scary..I checked mine today, but plan to have my card canceled as soon as possible. I have to call the credit agencies and find out what I need to do on that end as well...sigh..

OCquilter 03-08-2013 07:40 PM

Bank of America has a "Safeshop" option. You get to decide $$ amount and the expiration date. They give a number that will refer back to your cc with the banking system. It's handy to use on line.

SandySews 03-09-2013 04:24 AM

A way to order online without having your credit cards compromised is to go to a Dollar Store or Wal Mart and purchase a Prepaid card for whatever amount you want on it. Make your purchase online using that prepaid card and none of your personal info is connected to it. I have a friend who does this all the time and no worries of being hacked again. You can take the card back to where you bought it and put as much more money as you need for the next order.