Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   CSI television show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/csi-television-show-t273849.html)

Sandra-P 12-30-2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 7417062)
Oh no, you mentioned English shows.

I love English TV series. I find the story lines to be much more interesting.

Endeavour
Morse
Inspector Lyndley Mysteries
Father Brown
Lewis
Call the Midwife
Ripper Street - I have just started to watch on Netflix
Scott and Bailey
Midsommer Mysteries
Luther - a bit creepy, but incredible
Any British Sherlock
Miss Marple
Poirot

I can go on and on.

Have you seen any of the Murdock Mysteries It takes place in Victorian Toronto? It is a Canadian show, I believe it has been released in the US as The Artful Detective? The current episodes can be viewed at
http://www.cbc.ca/murdochmysteries/episodes/

Love all those shows. One of the detectives on Scott and Bailey wears a gold baby bumblebee necklace. I always admired it and last Christmas my hubby got me one exactly like it from a jewelry store in London! He googled the actress and found out that it is her personal necklace she insists on wearing and now I have one too. He is a keeper.

marge954 12-30-2015 11:12 AM

Love Netflix, no commercials and cheap tv!
British: Call the Midwife, Monarch of the Glen, Last Tango in Halifax, Peaky Blinders, Keeping Up Appearances, the Bletchley Circle, Rosemary and Thyme, The Paradise and Land Girls.
American: Longmire, The 100, Bloodline, Madam Secretary, One Tree Hill
Canadian: Strange Empire (western type show but focuses on women)
You guys have given me some new ones to try!

KalamaQuilts 12-30-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ladydukes (Post 7418057)
Off subject, but since you are watching via DVD or streaming - you can also check DVD's out from your local library. If they don't have a particular title/series, you can request it and the library can get it from another library.

libraries are never off subject in my world! We have a tiny library, and I have to pay to get them brought in from other libraries. I do donate a lot to ours, and what they can't use goes into a huge Mother's Day book sale. I always go with two grocery bags :) but our little downtown flooded a few weeks ago, and our library, city hall, police station and post office are basically gone. I have no idea when we will get any of them back up and running

marge954 12-30-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7418250)
libraries are never off subject in my world! We have a tiny library, and I have to pay to get them brought in from other libraries. I do donate a lot to ours, and what they can't use goes into a huge Mother's Day book sale. I always go with two grocery bags :) but our little downtown flooded a few weeks ago, and our library, city hall, police station and post office are basically gone. I have no idea when we will get any of them back up and running

That's awful! Did the library lose all the books? If so I have several whole sets/almost whole sets of authors I would be glad to mail to the library when it's up and running. I can't imagine not having a library to go to!

meanmom 12-31-2015 06:03 AM

I liked the original CSI the best. My sister watched Call the Midwife and loved it, I have never seen it. She also loved Downton Abbey. They are both on my lost to check out. My SIL highly recommended Breaking Bad. Never seen that either.

KalamaQuilts 12-31-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by carolaiken (Post 7418295)
That's awful! Did the library lose all the books? If so I have several whole sets/almost whole sets of authors I would be glad to mail to the library when it's up and running. I can't imagine not having a library to go to!

I don't know yet. I know the city crews are stretched and I'm guessing the library isn't as high on the list as the other three. Most of us buy paperback and libraries need hard backs because of the wear and tear I suppose. I would also expect that the city has insurance for flood damage, this happened in 1996 also. We now have 2 huge pumps at either end of town, which pumps water under the freeway and out into the Columbia River. Great idea. Except no one checked the pumps and the one on the north end of town where the city buildings are paid the price.

Bug Lady 12-31-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7417267)
I liked the original CSI a lot. But loved, loved CSI Miami and was very disappointed when it was cancelled. Didn't care too much for New York as it seemed just too dark most of the time.
Talking about cop shows, I also really like Criminal Minds.
NCIS is also wonderful, but then I have a secret love affair with Mark Harmon.

belfrybat--Join the group as I too have a secret love affair for Mark Harmon.
Happy New Years.
Karen

Tothill 12-31-2015 10:41 AM

Such terrible news for your library. My local library does have paperbacks, many are donated by community members. Even if they only last a few readings it is a cheap way to have current best sellers.

I know libraries pay a premium on hardcover books.

ILoveToQuilt 12-31-2015 07:13 PM

NCIS is great. Original CSI (with Gibbs) is great, too. Amongst my "favorites" were: Army Wives and JAG. These last two were not crime programs, just that I enjoyed them.

DivaDee 01-01-2016 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7417267)
I liked the original CSI a lot. But loved, loved CSI Miami and was very disappointed when it was cancelled. Didn't care too much for New York as it seemed just too dark most of the time.
Talking about cop shows, I also really like Criminal Minds.
NCIS is also wonderful, but then I have a secret love affair with Mark Harmon.

He's mine. Keep your hands off!!!