Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Curio quilt chest- can't get the varnish smell out! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/curio-quilt-chest-cant-get-varnish-smell-out-t300907.html)

quilt1950 11-16-2018 05:12 AM

DH builds and repairs furniture. He suggests you use a spray shellac. Bullseye is the brand he uses. You will need to cover the glass. And it may take more than one coat.

coopah 11-16-2018 05:43 AM

Baking soda. The Irish Spring will leave that smell. Ask me how I know.

SusieQOH 11-16-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 8162335)
Now that's a funny pix in my brain (I have 2 cats--could have shared)....But seriously, I posted above that I varnished my rattan toy chest--I should have said I used the poly cear coat. It's been in use for weeks, and nary a sniff of musty odor. I completely covered it inside out, bottom to top. It had been painted to look like a toy store and I just coated everything--successfully. It was suggested by a young man who paints cars!

Polyurethane? Good idea! Thank you!!!

klswift 11-16-2018 07:15 AM

Sounds odd, but put a tray full of charcoal (the regular kind you use in the bar-b-que, not the gas soaked stuff) with some crumpled newspaper. This will absorb all the moisture and most all odors from all sorts of things - drawers, fridges, cupboards, chests, etc.

HettyB 11-16-2018 09:13 AM

This is going to be a bummer as you probably want the quilts to be seen but...

If you are going to store antique quilts in it, I would recommend wrapping them in acid free tissue and lining the cabinet where the fabric touches the wood with Tyvek. I would have serious concerns about anything that is giving off or have given off fumes. Gases still are given off that damage textiles, even though YOU can't smell them.

Also, I would line the glass with museum grade UV blocking film. It is completely transparent and won't affect the look. I have just had all the windows on my house done to protect my textiles and pictures. It wasn't as expensive as you would think.

HettyB

cashs_mom 11-16-2018 09:54 AM

Many years ago, I purchased a buffet that had an odd smell. I remember using some orange scented cleaner on it that took the smell right out. Good luck! I don't blame you for wanting to get it out. I'm sure it would get in the fabric of the quilts if you didn't. Ick.

Annaquilts 11-16-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8162173)
Oh darn, too late, leonf :D

ROFL Does kitty like her new box?

Tiggersmom 11-16-2018 11:27 AM

please let us know what worked for you! just in case i get something with this problem.

SusieQOH 11-16-2018 01:33 PM

Okay, Jennifer- will do!
BTW- I had a Tigger too and loved him to pieces. I still miss him after all these years.

trustme2 11-17-2018 01:57 PM

Try wadded up newspaper. Leave it closed a few days with lots of paper to absorb the odor.