Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do any of you use a Toaster Oven? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-any-you-use-toaster-oven-t204671.html)

mrs. fitz 10-31-2012 11:19 AM

First thing I bought when I got my own apartment 40 years ago was a toaster oven. I've never been without one since. Use it all the time. I've had several, usually they are only adequate for toasting but I've baked, broiled, and use it daily. Get one large enough to hold a 9" x 13" dish; that takes care of casseroles and cakes. The one I have now (Black & Decker, which took over GE) has a curved baking rack that will cook a 10" pizza. Check out several and get the one with features you'll use.

Pollytink 10-31-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by patski (Post 5624478)
be really careful. we bought one and it got so hot that is burned the counter top. The older ones were better insulated so be sure to check reviews on each brand. I went back to using the oven or I "roast" my veggies in my electric skillet

Never thought of that! How do you do it in the skillet. I think I still have one packed away somewhere, maybe should dig it out!

Pollytink 10-31-2012 12:17 PM

OK! I have an OLD one, it does have a broiler and I use it a lot...hardly ever use the big oven any more. I've saved the posts that mentioned brands and am wondering if we could find out what brands those of you who raved about theirs, have. I've thought about getting a new one, figuring my old one is eating energy like crazy, but can never decide which one. I'd like one large enough to cook at least medium size frozen pizzas and with a broiler too.

patski, what brand was it that got so hot it burned the counter?
ckcowl, what brand did you get for $59?

TIA!!!

raynhamquilter 10-31-2012 12:52 PM

Me, too--don't want to live without it. If this one (GE) breaks I'll RUN to the store to replace it.

Luv Quilts and Cats 10-31-2012 12:52 PM

I had a toaster oven when I had my apartment. I loved it. Didn't have toaster so I used the toaster over for toast and other things as well.

sewNso 10-31-2012 01:03 PM

interesting, i have been wishing i had one again.

knlsmith 10-31-2012 01:46 PM

We use ours all the time. By myself, I can cut a frozen pizza and only cook what I want, toast, my daughter has actually made cookies in it. Wouldn't ever live without one.

BellaBoo 10-31-2012 02:25 PM

Don't buy a toaster oven, buy a counter top oven. Big difference! A countertop oven will bake just like your big oven but faster and not use as much power. I always hated to heat my big oven to bake one dish or pan. Get a convection table top oven. You won't regret it. You will save enough is power cost to pay for it so don't get a cheap one. Amazon has some very nice ones.

Lyncat 10-31-2012 03:57 PM

I use it all the time. My old one got me through college, and I kept it in my classroom for another 20 years.

sak658 10-31-2012 04:20 PM

I love mine...cooks great corndogs...