Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do I really need Facebook? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-i-really-need-facebook-t176437.html)

Amythyst02 01-23-2012 04:52 AM

oh my goodness, I thought I was the only person that felt this way!!!!

MaryKatherine 01-23-2012 05:31 AM

I have no cell phone, no Blackberry and no GPS, only a land line with Bell and a computer. The world leaves me alone when I want it to.
Mary Katherine

mizsandy7 01-23-2012 06:33 AM

So true, so true. One day I was following the GPS in a strange city, got so confused I unplugged it and threw it in the back seat. Used the GPS in my brain and got home just fine.

Caswews 01-23-2012 06:36 AM

I don't have a facebook account nor do I want one unless my ISP goes down.. I keep in touch with family and friends through emails , but usually I call them! I have one friend who insists on email every day or a text everyday but very seldom get together and she thanks me for her privacy (?)well um okay I guess !LOL Each to their own,but no facebook for me !! just not into that stuff ...

angelanicole 01-23-2012 06:42 AM

Very well said and funny to. Indeed we don't need all this "new" technical stuff or facebook or twitter.
For me a car is all I need so I can drive forward to the grocery store and fabric store and my computer to stay
in touch with my family overseas and the quilting board.

delma_paulk 01-23-2012 07:18 AM

AMEN! AMEN!! AMEN!! Am seriously thinking about getting rid of mine!

delma

farmquilter 01-23-2012 07:42 AM

I agree with Mary Katherine about having my home without all the new stuff. Although I do have a cell in my purse--turned off--so if I am out and about I can call family if needed. Use it about 6 times a year but it is there just in case.

I think Facebook is too personal in content and not private at all. A friend is on Facebook and tells of people joining just so they can find out what their friends/family are doing without asking them. And some tell EVERYTHING they do.
Was told that at a party, kids setting next to each other, were text/talking to EACH other. The younger generation will not have any people skills, IF they go looking for a job. They will have to be trained how to talk to people, now that is sad. And why does one have to give a minute by minute schedule of their day.
I am so happy NOT to be so modern.
Jan

Stitchit123 01-23-2012 09:24 AM

When I had the cell I went to the phone store to pay the bill so they could access my voice mails just to see what I missed the previous 30 days so they never tried to sell me twittery stuff. I get lost every time I get out of my shoe box - so I decided long ago that getting 'lost' close to home ain't so bad anymore I look at it as a small adventure and I have found some really neat places and before going to some where new I use MapQuest --My son got me a laptop and its never left the desk. he shows up every Sunday to fix ? something I screwed up -I love how he tells me " You can fix these things" with the HELP button all I say i 'Yeah OK' -I don't mind admitting these new fangled things intimidate me..

BuzzinBumble 01-23-2012 10:20 AM

That is hysterically funny and really says it like it is! Definitely one to share (but not on facebook?)
Thank you for a good laugh!

quiltmau 01-23-2012 12:53 PM

I hate the fact that Facebook was originally to keep in touch but has become a source or information that no one needs to know.
I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or any of the numerous other social media things. I have a cell phone to keep my husband happy and conveniently 'forget' the carry it. It is turned on, ringer on low and in the drawer of my night stand. I can't hear it or see it. Works for me!
I email or use the land line to connect with family and friends.
As for the GPS - give me a old map any day and I can find my way anywhere. I hate the things and call the one built in 'Blondy' as she gets lost more than I do. Most of the time I drive it is off. Besides turning the wrong way is an adventure -think of all the new things you can discover!