Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do some commercials just make you shake your head? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-some-commercials-just-make-you-shake-your-head-t163097.html)

Connie M. 10-26-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby
It's not just the commercials that are so stupid. Last week 1 of the network news programs was talking about the animal "farm" where all the animals were killed and he said "Nameof man killed himself and then let all the animals loose". How could a dead man release all the animals? Daaah

Similarly, I heard a news item last night about Michael Jackson's death. The newscaster said one side was saying his doctor killed him, but the other side was saying that Jackson actually killed himself and then blamed the doctor. What did he do call "long distance"???

Renakr 10-26-2011 11:12 AM

now that is funny.....

Rena

quilter68 10-26-2011 11:16 AM

Dare I mention Political ads.

majormom 10-26-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68

OMG ad nauseaum (sp?)

mommafank 10-26-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by majormom

Originally Posted by quilter68

OMG ad nauseaum (sp?)

Agree, agree, agree------we always mute those!

quiltmom04 10-26-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
The thing with all these commercials is that some ad agency person somewhere created these things in the first place and then had to run them past a corporate committee to get approval. It is hard to conceive that much of what makes it to the screen is what they consider to be the best they have to offer. I can't believe first that someone would come up with some of the stupid/insulting/distasteful approaches to selling a product but then someone above them actually approves it. Must be the same people that pull the genuinely good TV programs and leave the rest of the trash on for years. Ann in TN

Yeah, I agree. Having been in marketing for a while, I know there are lots of meetings where they kick around ideas, and those horrible commercials were the best of the bunch!

cyd 10-26-2011 01:34 PM

It is a ploy to get you to pay attention-to stand out in whatever will help make their point.

labtechkty 10-26-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
I hate the one AT&T runs where the woman tells her Husband she should have don what her Mother said and married another man.Don't we have enough hurtful and bad things going on in our world without seeing it on a commercial.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way....Makes ya want to reach inside the tv and smack her!!! :twisted:

cinnamon 10-26-2011 01:58 PM

Thank goodness for the mute button.

MadQuilter 10-26-2011 02:07 PM

Pat always mutes the "Expedia" commercial with the over-the-top guy from Project Runway. Tim Gunn or something like that - he says the guy's voice drives him batty. I mute the commercial for Kit Kat. Bad enough when they sing that stupid jingle but now they munch and crunch in the rhythm of the jingle. Makes my skin crawl.